chapter one

( PART ONE )
chapter one:: i see dead people

"REMEMBER to breathe, Dawn," My mother suggested for the fifth time, and I huffed out heavily, "This isn't going to work properly if you don't -"

"Breathe," I finished for her, my eyes closed with hope that she'd just disappear, "Maybe if I had some space, mama?"

"Since when don't you need your mother to help you?" She questioned and I lowered my head before looking up at her as she was practically breathing on my shoulder.

"I'm not saying I don't need you, I'm saying that I can't concentrate on my breathing if all I hear is yours," I told her and she hesitated before stepping a few feet back. I give her a smile, "Thank you."

I then closed my eyes and sat up straight as I was seated on the floor with my legs crossed. I let my hands rest on my knees as I began to breath calmly, trying to focus on just that until that was all I heard. Being a medium was harder than most thought, especially when you grow up to becoming one. For a time, I believe I was going crazy when people didn't see people what I saw until my mom told me that I was a medium just like my grandmother. My grandmother taught my mom everything she knew just in case I became one and when I did, my mother couldn't be more excited. Though I felt the complete opposite of excitement because I'm the one seeing ghost for a living.

I didn't open my eyes until I felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to look up and smile wide, "Bố!"

"Good morning, my sunflower," He smiled back and sat down across from me, sitting in the same position I was before looking across my shoulder, "I see your mother still chooses to accompany you."

"Yeah, I guess she believes you're going to just pop up before her," I laughed, but looked back at my mom, "Mama, bố said hello."

She couldn't help but show a toothy grin, "Tell him I love him and that his mother is giving me a migraine." She then sighed, "I'll be in the car, Dawn."

My father still laughed at her words as she walked off, "My mother hasn't changed either, huh?"

"She continues to bring over dishes and meals because she's convinced that mama can't cook and that she's going to either starve me or kill me one day with her food," I explained and he laughed harder, causing my smile to grow.

"You know your grandmother isn't the best at being nice," He told me and I hummed before he checked the watch on my wrist, "You're talking to me before you have school now?"

"I begged mom to let me," I sighed, "I just wanted to see you before I left."

He raised a brow, "Today's the day?"

"Today's the day," I nodded, "I have my cello downstairs ready and packed."

"Your mother is going to blow a socket if you get into Juilliard," He stated, "I don't think she can handle my mother on her own."

"Yeah, but you know we always talked about going to New York," I explained, but lowered my head, "All of us."

"You and your mother are going to have a great time in New York when you get in," He assured, lifting my head, "Just promise me one thing," He waited until I nodded, "At that audition, promise me that you'll knock them dead."

I smiled and hug him tightly, though I couldn't really feel him like I used to, "I love you, bố."

"I love you too, my sunflower," He whispered before I pulled away and he was gone. A tear slipped down my cheek, but when I heard my mom honk her horn, I quickly got up on my feet and grabbed my bag before rushing out the house to her car.