Chapter 39

While Amber slept, she had a dream.

It was 2002. Amber was 10. It was the middle of the night. Amber woke up in the middle of the night, not feeling well. She was sweating and she was having trouble breathing. She went to her mother and Phil's room. When she walked into the room, she went over to her mom's side of the bed and woke her up.

"Hey." Renée said. "What's wrong, sweetie."

"I don't feel well and I can't really breathe." Amber said between breaths.

Renée felt Amber's forehead. "Baby, you're burning up." Renée said. She grabbed a thermometer from the bathroom and took Amber's temperature. "Go get dressed, honey." Renée said. Amber nodded and walked out of the room.

"What's going on?" Phil asked.

"I need to take Amber to the hospital." Renée said as she got dressed.

"What's wrong?" Phil asked.

"I'm not sure." Renée said. "But she has a high fever and she said she was having trouble breathing."

"Do you want me to go with you guys?" Phil asked.

"No. Can you stay here with Bella?" Renée asked.

"Of course." Phil said.

"I'll call you and let you know what's going on." Renée said. Phil nodded.

Renée and Amber both walked out of their rooms at the same time. "Come on." Renée said. Amber followed her mom downstairs and outside.  They both got in the car. "Just hold on." Renée said as she pulled out of the driveway. "I'll get to the hospital as fast as I can." Amber nodded. Renée drove to the nearest hospital.

When they got there, they both got out of the car and went inside. "Can I help you?" A nurse asked.

"My daughter is having trouble breathing." Renée said.

"Ok. Let's get her to a room." The nurse said. They followed the nurse to a room. The nurse put an oxygen mask over Amber's face and hooked her up to a couple machines. "What's your daughter's name?" The nurse asked.

"Amber Swan." Renée answered.

"And how old is she?" The nurse asked.

"Ten." Renée replied. The nurse it down on a chart.

"A doctor will be right with you." She said.

"Thank you." said Renée.

After a few minutes, a doctor came into the room. "What seems to be the problem?" He asked.

"My daughter woke up having trouble breathing." Renée said. "And she has a high fever." The doctor started examining Amber. "She has been feeling more tired lately, the last few weeks, and she's been getting a lot of nosebleeds." Renée added.

"Ok. We're going to run some tests and see what's going." The doctor said. Renée nodded. The doctor took some of Amber's blood and handed it to the nurse. "We're going to bring your daughter to get some scans done." He said.

"Ok." Renée said. The nurse brought Amber to get some scans done.

A little bit later, Amber had been brought back to the room. The doctor came into the room. "So, it looks like your daughter has Leukemia." He said. "The tiredness and nosebleeds were symptoms of it."

"She has cancer?" Renée asked.

"I'm very sorry." The doctor said.

"So, what does this mean?" Renée asked.

"We'll get her admitted and start her on treatment and chemotherapy." The doctor explained. "She will need to stay in the hospital for a few weeks while she's starting the treatment and chemo." Renée nodded. "The nurse will be in to bring you up to a room." The doctor said.

"Thank you." Renée said. The doctor nodded before walking out of the room.

A few minutes later, Amber had been moved to the pediatric ward. "I'm going to call Phil and let him know what's going on." Renée said.

"Can you call Dad, too?" Amber asked.

"Yes." Renée said. "Get some sleep."

Amber nodded. She slept while Renée called Phil and Charlie.

When Amber woke up, she saw everyone in her room. Her mother, Phil, Bella, and her dad. "Daddy!" Amber exclaimed.

"Hey sweetheart." Charlie said. "How are you feeling?"

"Eh." Amber said. Just then, Amber started to cry.

"Don't cry, baby girl." Renée said as she stroked Amber's hair.

"It's going to be ok, sweetheart." Charlie said. Amber continued to cry. They all comforted her.

Amber shot up in bed. She saw Jasper back.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's fine." Amber said. "I woke myself up."

"Are you ok?" Jasper asked.

"Yeah. Just a dream." Amber replied.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" Jasper asked.

"I've already told you." Amber said. "It was a dream of when I first got sick."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jasper asked.

"No." Amber said.

"Go back to sleep." Jasper said. He pulled her close into him and pulled the covers over her. Amber leaned in close to him.