Chapter 35

I stepped out of the four door Jeep, tentatively stepping onto the pavement driveway. Tall trees, along with cold-frosted grass stood around the semi-mansion. Four, or five acres abutted the large, grey house. I spotted a white barn in the distance. The sun was just starting to set

"Your house, is um," I searched for the right word, but eventually chose the obvious choice, "Nice."

Lucy laughed, climbing out. "It's your house, too."

I nodded, still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I had a house.

"We told Mariella last night, and she's been dying to see you." She grinned. "She helped set up your room too."

"My room?" I asked. I'd expected to sleep in a guest bedroom, or on a couch. Usually when I'd come to a new Foster Home, they sometimes wouldn't have rooms available in time.

"Of course, Hon'!" Lucy exclaimed, coming over to me and slinging an arm around my shoulder. "What, you thought we'd stick you on the couch?"

I nervously laughed, and let her guide me to the brass door.

Lucy opened it, stepping in and I stepped in after her. A crystal chandelier hung from the high ceiling, and I looked round. A wooden staircase, adorned with white railings, continued underneath the chandelier. To the right, a long dining room table sat in the middle; and to the left, the biggest library I've ever seen.

"Well, I'll give you a tour-"

"Lindsey!" A high, pitched voice screamed from the side and something clashed into me.

A gasp escaped from me, and I looked down at a small, curly blonde who's arms held snug around me.

"You're my sister now, can you believe it?" Mariella yelled, bouncing back and prancing in place.

No, I couldn't.

I hugged her, not realizing how much I had missed her. She was always my favorite in the Foster House.

"Well, I'll get dinner started. We're having spaghetti and meatballs, I hope you like that Lindsey." Lucy smiled toward me. "I know Mariella loves it. Mariella, where's Daddy?"

Daddy? Mariella calls him daddy? I glanced at Mariella, expecting to see a look of confusion, but oversaw a knowing nod. "He just ran out to do a night check at the barn."

Barn? Lucy saw my expression, and chuckled. "We have horses. Mariella will show you tomorrow." Lucy wiggled her eyebrows at me. "So, Lindsey do you have anything to show Mariella?"

I was still trying to grasp the fact that they had horses in their backyard, when I caught onto her expression. "Yes!"

Mariella looked up at me. "What is it?"

I shrugged, "I guess we should just check in the car." Lucy tossed me the keys.

Mariella grinned, grabbing my hand and nearly flying open the door. I jogged as she ran down the pathway, and to the Black Jeep. She released my hand, hopping in place and watching me struggle with the keys.

I unlocked it, and reached into the back. I retrieved a cardboard box, and nodded toward the house. "We should open it inside."

Once inside again, I set the box carefully on the ground and watched Mariella crouch down. Lucy came back into the room, and stopped by me. Mariella lifted the lid, and gasped at what was inside. A black, and white bunny popped out.

"What's her name?" She squealed, lifting her up.

I smiled. "Nindsey."

~~~~~~~~