17 ☆ a study of stars

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

A STUDY OF STARS

"'she's standing about two steps away from him, but there's a gut feeling in his stomach telling him that he'll never truly be a part of her life and get to bask in her starlight

"'she's standing about two steps away from him, but there's a gut feeling in his stomach telling him that he'll never truly be a part of her life and get to bask in her starlight.'"

☆☆☆

Severus Snape thought of most things with distaste, and Dolores Umbridge was no exception. He sweeps through the aisles of his classroom, sneering down at various potions. The stout woman hums to herself near the back of the classroom, scratching down notes on a roll of parchment. "George, could you get some Kelpie hair for me, please?" He turns to see the Weasley boy nod and make his way towards the storage room. In a few strides, he stands in front of Eunbyeol Moon's cauldron, glancing down at the contents. It's brewed to perfection, as he had come to expect from the girl. It was a pity that she wouldn't be allowed to pursue a career in apothecary or potions, or anything for that matter.

"And what would you need Kelpie hair for, Moon?" he asks her. She tended to experiment quite a bit with her potions, an admirable trait for an aspiring potions-maker.

The young girl brushes her long black hair behind her ear as she dips her wand her potion. "Well, the Beautification Potion is very vague in its actions, as beauty is subjective. I was thinking the Kelpie hair would help shift the user's appearance into something they desire more. It could shift the user's appearance to appeal to the eye if the beholder, though," she muses as she stirred counter-clockwise. "What do you think, Professor?"

"I think it is an interesting idea," he admits. "Your second hypothesis may be more likely to be correct." George slips back behind the bench, setting a jar of kelpie hair onto the counter. Snape paid him no mind. "However, Kelpie hair and fairy wings may be a dangerous combination."

"I know," Eunbyeol nods. "I'm planning on soaking the Kelpie hair in a bit of morning dew overnight to dilute the magical properties."

The man nods and made to move on until a cough sounds from the back of the room. "Hem-hem."

Snape doesn't even attempt to hide his eye roll as he turns to the woman in the back. "Yes, Professor Umbridge?"

"Is it normal for you to allow students to experiment in such ways?" she sniffs. "Isn't it dangerous? She could be brewing a bomb." Eunbyeol's cheeks burn and her and George exchange a look. The muscles in the girl's jaw tick as she tenses. "The girl could be a domestic terrorist, for all we know!"

"I find that students manage to ruin potions whether they follow instructions or not," Snape drawls. "Miss Moon has proved herself to be quite capable in most classes, though."