Chapter 31

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is still September 22, 2020. I had no clue that today was the first official day of Fall, so HAPPY OFFICIAL FALL!!

Everyone collectively groans. "You serious?"

"Very funny, man"

"Nice. Very nice. Jesus, what an idiot," Steve grumbles, leading everyone away and back on track. 

"Hang on. Wait, wait," Dustin protests. Everyone keeps walking until the tunnel opens up into a large chamber. Y/n lets out a small whimper, remembering Hopper slowly being constricted to death.

Steve squeezes her hand. "All right, Wheeler. I think we found your hub."

Y/n grabs her gasoline canister. "Drench it," she growls. Taking the canisters, everyone douses it with the smelly oil from top to bottom. 

"You ready?" Steve asks, flicking his lighter open.

"Yeah."

"Ready."

"Ready."

"Light her up," Dustin confirms.

Steve pants. Y/n places a hand on his shoulder in reassurance. "I am in such deep trouble." He chucks the lighter down, and the oil goes up in flames. They lick the sides and char the goop off the surfaces. 

"Go, go, go, go!" Steve yells, ushering the kids down the tunnel rapidly. 

"Let's go, let's go! Oh, my god." Y/n shudders suddenly. It feels as if a weight has been lifted off her chest. 

She smiles at Steve, climbing back to her feet. "I think they got it out of Will!" i just want to clarify that she and will do not have a telepathic connection, but just a sibling connection. my sister and i have the same thing, for example, when she does a performance for theater, i get butterflies in my stomach as if i was the one performing. i always say "i get them so she doesnt have to" so its that kind of sibling connection

They run through the thick maze until a Demo-Dog blocks their opening. Steve and Y/n shield the kids, until Dustin steps forward. 

"Dart," he whispers. The monster snarls, but doesn't approach. "Shh. Stop."

"Dustin, get back," Max pleads.

"Trust me, please. Hey. It's me, it's me. It's just your friend, it's Dustin. It's Dustin, all right? You remember me? Will you let us pass?" He slowly approaches his old pet, who recoils in response. 

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the storm cellar. That was a pretty douchey thing to do. You hungry? Yeah?" He pulls some candy from his bag. 

"He's insane," Lucas mutters.

"Don't," Mike warns.

"I've got our favorite. See? Nougat. Look at that. Yummy. Here, all right?" He tosses the nougat at the Demo-Dog, who gobbles it up. "Eat up, buddy. Come on. Come on." He turns to the group. "Let's go." The group slips past the creature as Dustin continues feeding it. "There's plenty. I've got more. Goodbye, buddy," he says sadly. He turns on his heel and runs with the group.

"Let's go, let's go!"

The ground begins shuddering, and a distinct roar is heard. "What the hell is that?" Y/n asks. 

The snarling grows louder. "Shit, they're coming."

The group runs faster to the opening. Y/n and Steve hoist them up. Steve throws Y/n up into the ditch, leaving him and Dustin behind. "Steve, come on! Take my hand, Steve!" She screams. 

The Demo-Dogs round a corner and charge right at them. "STEVE!" She screams. 

Instead of pouncing on them, the dogs rush right past them. "STEVE, I SWEAR TO GOD TAKE MY HAND!"

Steve hoists Dustin up then pulls himself out of the hole. Y/n launches herself on him, kissing all over his face. "YOU DUMB, DUMB BOY! I LOVE YOU!"

He reddens and hugs her. The boys make retching noises behind them. "I guess she is single now," Max mutters.

Mike stands up. "Eleven."

Everyone piles back in the car, Y/n driving this time. She follows the directions Hopper gave to get to his house. Pulling off the road, she runs through the trees, not bothering to wait for the kids. She bangs on the door.

"Mom! Jonathan! Will!"

Nancy opens the door to reveal Jonathan and Joyce cuddling Will. 

"Oh, my god, Will!" She screams, jumping over to him. He beams the brightest smile. She kisses him all over. "Please stop this ridiculousness. I love you too much to deal with this stupid stress every year."

"Where have you been?" Joyce asks, observing her dirt and oil covered apparel. 

Y/n sighs. "We lit the tunnels on fire."

"WHAT?!"