Season 4: Episode 14

| May 20th | Monday Afternoon |

~ Megan's POV ~

Sam doesn't talk much after the funeral with Dane, and it worries me. Of course, I haven't been able to see her all weekend due to the fact that she's agreed to work doubles Saturday and Sunday, but I try not to get in my head too much about it. Instead, I play the supportive fiancée and hold her at night when she gets home exhausted from her weekend shifts.

I scan my room of kids and see Ava, reading as usual, and suddenly remember I haven't even given Sam the painting Ava made for her. It was still in my bag, patiently waiting to be revealed. Maybe since Sam was off today and would be fresh out of therapy, she would be more receptive to having the conversation I've been dying to have with her since Friday.

Eventually it's time for me to escort my kids to the busses and carpool lines, and we pack up for the day. When all my kids are gone for the day, me and Ava head back to the classroom to wait for Lisa. Our daily ritual, ever since it became one, is a small highlight of my day, and I find myself looking forward to it.

I take my usual place in Ashton's empty desk while I silently grade my class' essays I had them write today. With no homework, Ava sits quietly next to me, continuing to stay engrossed in her book. I notice from the corner of my eye that she's losing interest, and eventually she's closing her book. I prepare for her to break the silence.

"Lisa told me that I might have to live with a new family soon," is what she says.

I had noticed throughout the day that something was weighing heavily on her mind, and I figured Lisa had told Ava about her becoming eligible for adoption. I set my red pen down and look at her.

"I don't wanna move schools again," Ava admits.

My lips form a tight line. Part of me doesn't know what to say, while another just wants to comfort her any way I can. I know that's wrong, and that I shouldn't implant false hope because she might have to be rehomed and reschooled if Lisa doesn't qualify to become her permanent guardian.

"Well, you might not have to," I answer. "But, if you do, you'll make new friends just like you did here at Palm Vista."

Ava falls silent again and I know she's worried about the future. A part of me knows that older children have a less likely chance of being adopted to begin with, so Lisa might get lucky. Or, if a miracle happened and Sam and I got married and applied, we might get lucky and be able to adopt her ourselves. Both seem to be longshots, but neither are impossible.

"I'm gonna give your painting to Miss Sam tonight," I reveal. "I couldn't give it to her this weekend because she was busy."

"Do you think she'll like it?"

"Absolutely," I answer without hesitation.

This pulls Ava's attention away from our previous conversation and makes her smile. Within the same moment, Lisa is knocking on the door, indicating it is time for us to part for the day. I bid them both goodbye and head home with thoughts swarming my head, feeling eager to see Sam.

I walk into the house and am met with the aroma of something cooking and find Sam in the kitchen. There is a bouquet of flowers in a vase on the dining room table, a bottle of wine and a singular glass.

"What's the occasion?" I ask with delight in my voice.

"No occasion." Sam turns around and leans back against the kitchen counter with a smile. "Just felt like doing something nice for you."

I move closer to her. "Are you sure?"

She tilts her head, eagerly waiting for a kiss.

"What? I can't just be romantic once in a while?" she teases.