Chapter 2: Hunter or Hunted

Minerva joined the shadowed figure of Shika where she stood at the window. The highest story of the White Lioness Inn provided an ideal view, the guild districts spread out before them like a map.

Looming directly across the warzone, the Firebird flashed its challenge.

The Conclave was far from being the largest guild and its members held to tight-knit groups in secrecy. But one day ... One day they wouldn't need to hide in nondescript buildings, switching locations to avoid suspicion. Conclavers would not be afraid of Phoenix Kin recognizing their guild markings on the streets and hunting them to extinction.

Minerva nodded her head in the Firebird's direction, renewing her silent vow to defy them.

To retaliate.

I'll see your grand headquarters burned to the ground, your bodies reduced to ash. And when that moment comes, I'll laugh at the irony of it all.

Her mind played with the details of their downfall, while the beacons continued to eat away at the city before her.

Finally, Shika spoke, not turning to look at Minerva. "You're late, Kozakura."

Minerva half-grimaced, half-smiled at the name. It reminded her that Shika didn't know who she was, but that reminder came with the assurance that her identity remained secret. Working under an alias was a common practice. She'd found out Shika's real name within a few months of their first meeting.

"I ran into some trouble along the way," Minerva answered.

Shika gestured to the fires. "There's always trouble burning, you just need to avoid it." The younger girl chuckled. "Though I suppose that's too much to ask of you, isn't it? What delayed you this time?" Shika turned to face Minerva, the light from outside catching on her face more than the light from the candles in the room.

Minerva fought the urge to back away. Shika is not a threat.

Although, Minerva admitted to herself, her former apprentice could look intimidating. She possessed that natural grace of a predator, of one accustomed to having all their motions in sync and effortless. The white scar that cut cleanly through the brown of Shika's left eyebrow only added to the effect.

When Minerva didn't respond, Shika prodded further. "Were you trying to thwart the Saboteurs by rescuing one of their targets? Stop them from sending the Starsear up in flames?"

Minerva jerked her head up, eyes meeting Shika's brown ones. Her hood slid off her head, unnoticed. "What?"

Shika pointed to one of the smaller specks of light. "The Saboteurs smoked out the Twilight Enclave. I thought you knew." Her tone held a trace of disappointment.

Minerva grimaced at the bitter taste that entered her mouth. Another guild war ended, but at the cost of an ally. They'd been dropping like flies, only the Kirukkan Dragons were left now.

"I don't know everything, Shika," Minerva whispered, walking to the table to pour herself a cup of tea. Her eyes landed on the bookshelf as she did. Ash and dust coated the shelves again. She'd have to speak to Raon.

It was only when she'd finished pouring two cups that she realized the tea was cold. Dumping the cups' contents back into the teapot, she muttered under her breath, "Stupid, forgetting you're not allowed to wield. No heating tea for you."

"You alright there, Kozakura?" Shika asked, pulling out a chair.

"I can't wield."

Shika nodded knowingly. "I noticed your eyes turned color. You're not allowed to wield until your Trial, right?" She snatched up the tea tray before Minerva could and seconds later was yelling down the hall. With a smug grin on her face, she returned to sit at the table. "How's it feel to be just like the rest of us?"