Prologue

In a crowded, dimly lit, too loud club. Thats where I first saw him. He was leaning across the bar, ordering a drink. I remember being surprised that, like me, he'd ordered just a bottle of water. He was handsome, in a rugged way. His hair was a deep shade of brown, textured with curls, pushed up from his forehead, like he always ran his hand through it. He was wearing tight jeans and a button up shirt thats sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, showing off tattoos that I couldn't make out in the shifting light of the club. He turned in my direction and smiled crookedly, showing off a single dimple. I returned it with a small nod, before turning my attention back to the crowd, my back leaning against the bar, my hands wrapped around my water bottle.

Through the crowd of sweaty bodies, I could see my friend, who had dragged me to this smelly club upon the accusations that I ¨don't get out enough¨. That may or may not have been true. It wasn't my idea of a good time. For one, I am a second grade teacher. One of my worst fears is that I end up drunk in the presence of one of my kids' parents, which could cost me my job. For two, I don't fit in at clubs. Just at a glance, you could tell that I was different from the other girls that occupied the dance floor. Even standing next to Mia, you could tell that I was the designated driver. My dress fit tightly to my chest and flared out at my waist, coming down just above my knees, without any straps, which made my shoulders feel bare. My shoes were flat, despite Mia's insistence on my wearing skyscrapers.

Mia is my complete opposite. Her hair is dark and cropped short while mine was blond and loosely curled past my shoulders. She is fearlessly fashionable and stuck out from any crowd, while I usually do my best to be unseen. Maybe that's why I don't like clubs. No matter what I do, I'll never blend in with these people.

"Is this seat taken?" I turned to see him, standing next to me. My feminine senses tingled. I shook my head and tried my best to smile through my boredom. "I'm guessing the club scene isn't your forte either?" I remember being stunned by his accent. It was thick and drawn out like molasses. He was definitely British.

"What gave me away?" He smiled warmly.

"I'm Harry." he held out his hand, I shook it, immediately noticing the size difference. The metal of his rings was cold against my hand, a nice contrast to the heat in the room.

"Piper." He nodded, running his hand through the front of his hair, confirming my suspicion.

"So Piper," He said my name with care, like it was something that could be shattered instead of merely a concept of who I am. "What excuse did your friends use to get you here?" He took a sip of his water, holding in his mouth for a second before swallowing it.

"She said that I'm too involved in my job and I'll die alone if I don't get out of my house at some point." His jaw dropped slightly and he let out a shallow laugh. Behind us, I could hear the bartender pouring a drink for another customer, the smell of alcohol invading the already polluted air.

"That's rough." I nodded in agreement. "What is your job? If you don't mind me asking, of course."

"I teach elementary school, second grade." He opened his mouth like he was about to say something, but stopped himself, like he had a secret to tell. I didn't push the subject, afraid that I would lose my new found company. After all, talking to a stranger was better than being alone.

"That must be interesting."

"It is. It's stressful sometimes, but I love kids so it doesn't seem like work to me." He nodded, more to himself than to me.

"I teach history up at the university." I could feel my jaw drop slightly, he noticed and laughed. The college he was referring to was the Boston University. It was maybe a twenty minute drive from my apartment if traffic was bad. He didn't seem like the college professor type. He was too rugged, too tattooed. I guess he was the stereotypical professor that you saw in cliche movies. "I know," he said, laughing under his breath, like he'd heard it all the time.