Chapter Five: Yee Haw and Giddy Up.

Chapter Five: "Yee Haw and Giddy Up."

FRIDAYS ARE THE best days of the week.

It's basically the start of the weekend. When you're a kid, it's when the best shows release a new episode on the TV. When you're a student like me, you can unwind after all the lectures, tutorials, or labs you have for the day and relax as much as you can until it's Monday.

I hated Mondays, but Fridays? Fridays were amazing.

Especially since I wasn't scheduled to work tonight.

Opening the door to the front of my house, my new backpack dangled over my shoulders. Yasmeen was curled up in the living room, her laptop open as she was typing while a talk show was playing on the TV. She looked comfortable. Her legs were crossed on the couch, wearing a big sweater and a bowl of fruits by her side.

Rushing into the living room, I stood in front of her, grinning. She looked up at me puzzled before she realized the cause of my excitement. "It's Friday."

"It's Friday," I said loudly, my arms extended as if I was about to give her a hug. She dismissed it, continuing her typing and not allowing me to even falter her train of thought. "And I have no work. Do you know what that means?"

"It means that you're probably going to hole yourself in your room to study for your next midterm because you're not going to any party this weekend even though you would give away a kidney to."

She knew me too well.

"I wouldn't go to a party this weekend even if I wanted to. There's no one to go with. Everyone else has midterms or assignments too. I'm not stepping into Outlaw without my favourite people." Yasmeen glanced up at me again. "So, marathon?"

"Deal," She said, before pulling on my arm. "Sit down, you're reminding me of Iman with the way you keep smiling like that. It's freaking me out."

She offered me the bowl of fruits she was eating and I graciously took a strawberry as I sat next to her. "Where's everyone?" I asked her, noticing how quiet the house seemed.

"Larine went to her sister's for the weekend so no headboard banging for you."

I groaned, leaning my head back against the plush of the couch in relief. The last thing I needed was to hear the repetitive 'bang, bang, bang' against one of my walls. "Yes."

Yasmeen kept her eyes on her laptop, her fingers flying across the keyboard as she said, "You should honestly just talk to her about it."

"I will when I get this thing called courage from the Wizard of Oz," I said dryly, grabbing a grape from the bowl and plopping it into my mouth as the talk show changed to a commercial about cat food. "Not happening. Next."

Yasmeen stopped typing to shoot me a look, "What do you mean next?"

"Next roommate," I moved my hand, emphasizing for her to get on with the next topic. "What's Mariam doing?"

"Wait, she didn't tell you?"

"She didn't tell me what?"

"She's on a date."

My eyes widened and I straightened my back, whipping my head in her direction. "With who?"

"She met this guy who lives in town during homecoming. They're out right now."

I took my backpack off of my shoulders, putting it on the ground as I got comfortable with this conversation. "Stop."

"Yeah, they met around the time after you left Parkdale then they saw each other again during the concert and they would not stop talking," Yasmeen explained. "I think she really likes this guy. She didn't want to tell anyone because you know Mari."