Sixth Sin of Man

The newest Akatsuki hideout was on the outskirts of Kemurigakure. It was strategically chosen because Konohagakure Nin had no withstanding alliance with the Hidden Smoke after past transgressions regarding the invasion of Smoke and Grass back when Hashirama was in power. Without the treaty, Konohagakure scouts would be killed on sight. Thankfully, Kemurigakure had no qualms with the Akatsuki or me; they saw the Akatsuki’s influence within the village as a ‘safety net’ against prowling countries.

The boundary of Kemurigakure meeting the woodland was a thick stone archway where torp-coloured, clad armoured shinobi would take posts on each turret on the wall. Beneath their uniform were fishnet singlets with red trim and long black gloves. Their hitai-ate were simple black bands of elastic with the swirl of their village on the metal.

Kemurigakure itself was located deep within a valley of jagged rocks, between two dormant volcanoes. Though the locals insisted that the volcanoes hadn’t erupted since the turn of the last century, smoke still collected low in the valley, casting shadows around every corner and on every building. I didn’t trust Kemurigakure Nin, but I had no choice but to comply with Pein’s wishes.   

The elder of the village, their Kemukage, stood at the base of the arch and tipped his plated arm against the brim of his rice-paddy hat. He had a pointed moustache and beady black eyes that narrowed at me in scrutiny. In his right hand was a thin black staff containing a swirled piece of silver on the tip to symbolise the Kemurigakure symbol. The Kemukage, Katsutoshi Ishibura, tapped the hilt of the staff impatiently as I stood on the stone above him, my shadow covering his.  

“You’re looking for them,” it was more of a statement than a question.

“Hn,” I nodded.

“They’re deep within the valley,” Katsutoshi muttered, “when you reach the Temple of Hodo; they’re located in the final chamber. I’ve been instructed not to disturb the organisation, I advise you not to seek them out.”

“I’m the one they sought for,” I stared down at my bandaged arm. “Arigatou, I’ll make sure no harm befalls your village.”

However, even I knew that was a lie. If the Akatsuki was situated within the abysmal city lines, Pein wanted complete destruction. I wouldn’t implicate myself to help a village that threatened to wage war against my old home. I would rather watch it burn to the ground, Kemurigakure wouldn’t get my assistance―Katsutoshi could count on that.

***

The outside of Hodo was carved from one of the dormant volcanoes. At the base of the magma clad mountain was a stone gateway with two statues breathing fire towards the sky, their palms were pressed together to create an arch for me to walk under. A slight dusting of ash wafted through the air, it tinged my cloak grey by the time I found my way inside the temple.

There was no need for torches inside the temple, veins of luminescent magma flowed in crevices on the floor and walls. A thin layer of rock sizzled to stop the lava from escaping its niches, but that didn’t stop the smoke and steam furling from it.

Another archway greeted me, but this time the statues consisted of two troll-like creatures with puffed-out cheeks blowing what looked like air at each other. Above each of the archways were the symbols of the nature releases: fire, air, earth, water and lightning. The earth arch had two men dressed in prestigious Samurai armour with their raised leg leaning on a rock next to the arch, their swords linked to hold up the volcano. Two Yokai from mythology thrust thunder bolts down to create the fourth arch before I approached the final one. 

What puzzled me was the water arch. Two masked creatures faced away from each other but one of their arms pressed against one side of the arch while their remaining arm reached out to catch the trickling water from a vein above. I expected the Temple of Hodo to have depictions of Kemurigakure elders, not have connections with the five nature releases.