CHAPTER 13

Author note: I probably won't post another chapter for a while, just because this Act is almost done and I want to drag it out for as long as possible so that you guys still have something to look forward too :) Again thank you all so so so much! 

CHAPTER 13

A week and a half had passed and on a particularly warm day, Junius presented the idea of having lunch out in the back field. It was outside of the courtyard, about 100 yards to the right, and surrounded by four walls made of old bricks. There was a small door allowing us entry, and at the other end of the field there was a large, wrought iron gate that kept us closed in.

Three blankets, stolen from the music room, had been laid out in the field, and we had spread the food around, eating, laughing, and forgetting about our situation for just a little bit. This did make me a bit wary, considering the last time we let down our guard. But, the house was out of sight, so for now, I put it out of mind.

We had eaten all of the food but no one wanted to go back to the house. The sun felt so nice and the grass was warm, in between our fingers and on our bare feet.

Ben had found an old soccer ball in one of the sheds in the courtyard and he, Asher, Eli and Opal were in a very intense two-v-two match with Jonah acting as referee. Asher was better than all of them combined and he and Ben were leading against Opal and Eli with a score of 15-1, the one goal having been an accidental score from Opal. Juniper was lounging in the grass, her face tilted towards the sun with Junius sitting next to her. My head was in Rhody's lap as she ran her fingers through my hair.

"Wanna take a walk?" she asked.

I opened my eyes and used my hand to shield my face from the sun. "A walk?"

Rhody and I were currently acting like whatever had happened during the tea leaf reading hadn't happened. I was okay with that.

"Yeah, just around the field?"

I nodded and sat up.

We began our walk and Rhody fixed me with an inquisitive stare.

"What's on your mind?"

"I just want to know why we are here," I said softly. "Maybe Eli is right."

"You're going to listen to him?" Rhody asked, her tone light-hearted.

"I'm starting to, yes," I replied coolly. Her smile faltered. She seemed discouraged. "And you are, too, aren't you?"

"You read people too well. After the whole incident with Eli and the food, I have had an uneasy feeling that I can't shake," she replied quietly. "I feel bad for getting so mad at him, but I just wish he would have talked to us first. It was a good idea, but we have to work as a group."

We continued to circle the perimeter of the enclosed field. We came to the solid gate keeping us from whatever was outside of it. I glanced over at the rest of the group.

I bit my lip. Then I finally plucked up the courage to say something. "Hey, about the whole tea leaf thing," I started.

"I wonder what's outside these doors," Rhody whispered and paused in front of it. I don't think she was listening. "I guess there's only one way to find out."

"Rhody, no," I reached forward grabbing her hand as she attempted to grab the handle. She pushed my hand away and grabbed the handle despite my warning.

"Kira, relax. It's probably locked any-" she stopped. The door clicked and then opened to both of our surprise. "Let's go," she said mischievously, running out of the door.