Chapter Four: Hate

(Author's Note: This story is being dual-uploaded here, and on Fanfiction.net! Artwork and additional media will be presented in this story to add towards its presentation. If you like the story, please continue supporting it by favoriting and following me!)

"Mmn... huh...?"

Subaru found himself waking up inside his room, earlier than expected. The windows were still dark, but not pitch black. If he had to make a guess, it was... Five in the morning?

"Early again... It's like I'm being woken up on purpose..." Subaru recalls something similar in his first lifetime. Back then, he woke up in this room instead of going back to zero like he thought.

He explored the mansion before everyone woke up last time. It was also when he stumbled across...

"...Well, I'm up now. Guess I should visit her." Subaru settled on getting out of bed—

"Nnn... Su... baru..." An arm enwrapped around his waist, before he could leave. His face grew rosy, as he looked toward the source: Satella, who was still very much asleep.

"C'mon... let me go, just for a bit, Satella-tan..." he whispered quietly, but just loud enough for her to hear.

Satella, despite being unconscious, loosened her grip. She had a sad smile on her face, "O... kay... Love... You..." she spoke between breaths.

"Seriously? This girl..." Subaru was baffled at her devotion, petting her hair just for a bit.

She giggled softly. Notes on Subaru's heart-strings —

Subaru shook his head, "Can't be distracted. Gotta trace my steps." he spoke, and kicked out of bed.

Passing a small glance at Satella, he continued to leave the room.

Subaru was playing a finger game with each door he passed, smirking a grin as he did so, "Eeny... Meeny... Miny..."

Target locked. Grabbing the handles of a door Subaru fancied, he pushed forward! —

"Moe!" Subaru exclaimed, entering the room!

"How rude, I suppose!" A voice responded back, as Subaru entered the Forbidden Library, greeted by the Guardian, herself: Beatrice.

"Yelling in the library is forbidden, I suppose. I care not if you're a guest in this mansion, I will personally escort you out with force." Beatrice's tone was sharp, as ruthless as ever.

And yet, Subaru was just happy to hear a familiar voice.

"Whoops, my bad! Could've sworn this was the restroom!" Subaru cracked a joke, acting surprised, before passing a glance at her,