38. AS FRIENDS

| CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT |

AS FRIENDS.

NATASHA'S CHEEKS HURT FROM SMILING too much. Much to her surprise, she was actually having a lot of fun. George had been nothing short of a gentleman throughout the whole evening, and the pair danced until their feet hurt. 

Even though she didn't come to the dance with who she would've loved to come with, she couldn't deny the fact that she still thoroughly enjoyed herself in George's company, and as they parted for the night (the ball was still happening, but George went off to find his twin whilst Nat went to gossip with Grace and Rosie), George leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss on the blonde's cheek, blushing profusely as he did so, he thanked the girl for a wonderful evening and promised to walk her back to her dormitory when the professors had enough of them all.

"So, you and George looked cosy whilst you were on the dance floor," Grace teased, watching her blonde best friend over the rim of her chalice as she took a sip.

Natasha shrugged, "We were having fun," She told them, but as soon as she noticed the knowing smirks on their faces she quickly added, "As friends."

"Does he know that?" The ginger haired girl suddenly questioned.

"Of course  he does," Nat told them, feeling offended her friends thought she was the type to string someone along, when in reality, she was the exact opposite. Sure, she only asked George to come because Cedric didn't ask her, but as soon as she reached the ginger haired boy that night, she asked him exactly what he thought the two were, as soon as George told her he knew they were just friends, it felt like a huge weight was suddenly lifted from her shoulders.

"And he was alright with it?" Grace interrogated, looking at the blonde skeptically.

"Of course he was," Nat told them, "Otherwise I don't think he would've wanted to spend the evening with me, let alone dance most of the night away with me."

"So, what are you going to do about C--" Rosie didn't finish her sentence. Instead, her eyes widening in shock at something behind Natasha and Grace, her words vanishing from her lips. 

Puzzled, Grace and Natasha looked over their shoulders, both girls widened their eyes as they watched a figure approaching them. Cedric Diggory was making his way right towards them, a look of determination in his eyes. When he realised that the girls spotted him, he began fiddling with his fingers as his eyes stayed glued to the only blonde from the trio.

Grace signalled something to Rosie, and the two girls almost both snook away from the scene, but Natasha was too quick and managed to grab hold of Grace's wrist, keeping her nearby whilst Rosie disappeared into the crowd, checking over her shoulder every few seconds.

"Hi," Cedric greeted, Natasha could practically feel the nerves radiating off of him.

"Hi," She replied, her throat feeling like it was going to close up suddenly.

"You look incredible," Cedric told her sincerely, however, his eyes never left hers.

Natasha felt herself blushing at the compliment, butterflies swarming in her stomach. It was strange; she had been complimented countless times that night, yet none of those compliments caused such a reaction in her, "T-Thank you," She replied, tucking a stray curl behind her ear (after dancing for hours, she had decided to shove her hair in a messy yet elegant bun at the base of her neck), "You're looking really handsome," Nat told him, "I didn't know you could clean up so well," She chucked lightly, feeling some of the tension vanishing when Cedric laughed along with her (and Grace stood around, looking out at the sea of dancing students awkwardly).

Cedric reached behind his neck, scratching it as he looked down at the shorter blonde (even in heels she had only managed to reach his shoulders), "Do-Do you maybe want to dance...with me?"

Natasha felt her breath hitch in her throat, but before she could even think about replying, a smirking Grace pushed her forwards, causing her to stumble into Cedric's arms (his extremely strong and muscular arms, Natasha was quick to notice), Grace looked more than pleased with herself when she stated, "Of course she does."