31: An Idea

Early next morning, Devika went for the warrior training. General Abhay and Veer were both on the training grounds and setting up the targets for archery practice. She quickly armed herself with her quiver of arrows and started stringing up her bow. After undergoing training for three years, she no longer had baby fat on her face and her arms and legs exuded strength. Devika was pleased with herself, in this lifetime she was able to achieve the ability to defend herself in a physical confrontation.

Arming herself with weapons, she started training with Veer. Both of them were able to hit targets at a distance that was double of what they had started with. Veer hit the target accurately in the centre each time. Devika was able to hit the centre 90% of time as well. Though she was a little less perfect than Veer, she was still proud of herself.

"I will soon be starting your training on moving targets as well. Also you need to start riding a horse while fighting. We have a lot to train for. But this weekend I plan to take you for a small competition. So you need to brush up on your archery skills." General Abhay informed both his students.

"What kind of competition, General?" Devika asked.

"Every year in our capital, we hold a small competition for the children of the soldiers. The competition is of various skills like archery, swordsmanship, hand to hand combat, weight lifting, etc. Those who win are given gifts by our King. Princess, I want you and Veer to participate in the archery competition." Abhay explained.

"I have heard about these competitions from Father. I haven't ever attended them though." Devika replied.

"That is not a problem. You just work on your skills Princess. I will take care of enrolling you in the competition." General Abhay said.

After the training, Devika approached Veer with the intention of talking with him. "Veer.." she said, "I need your help. You remember the medical store I had gone to yesterday." Once Veer nodded his confirmation, she continued, "I need to get from them the herbs that they discard. I am willing to pay a minimal amount for those discarded herbs. I think I have a plan but I need to experiment first." Devika smiled, her expression enigmatic.

------------------------------------

"And this is how you can make the antidote to the sleeping draught. I want you guys to practice this potion for some time. It might take some time before you are able to master it but don't worry." Guruji stated to the students in the medical facility.

Devika made the antidote on her first try and called Guruji to check the potion. Although the potion was a little lighter in colour than Guruji's creation, it's potency was not lesser than his. When Guruji checked the potion, he was surprised by the accuracy Devika displayed. He thought Devika had a talent in making potions.

"Teacher, I had a few doubts to talk about. Do you have time now?" Devika asked.

Guruji looked around the other students who were busy in making the antidote and nodded to Devika. He could take this time to clarify her doubts. When Guruji acquiesced, Devika narrated the events of yesterday that occurred outside the medical store and said, "Teacher, why is the cost of even common herbs so high that people have to take out silver coins for a paltry amount?"

"Princess, Nala Kingdom doesn't have any production of herbs. Whatever herbs are acquired by the medical stores either they are imported from other kingdoms or they are found in dense jungle. No one had ever attempted to produce the herbs here." Guruji explained.

"But why didn't anyone try to produce herbs?" Devika questioned.

"Who knows? Actually the soil in Nala Kingdom is very fertile and conducive to the growth of medicinal plants. It is a part of the reason why I planted the herbs in the garden allocated to medical facilities." Guruji replied shrugging his shoulders.

"One last question. Which country has the maximum production of herbs and medicinal plants? Which country exports them on a large scale?" Devika asked somberly. She already expected the answer Guruji gave.

"Gauda Kingdom. The largest producer and exporter of herbs and medicines is Gauda Kingdom. According to our findings three years ago, they have already started exporting poisons and antidotes as well. Though this trade takes place majorly in the black market." Guruji said gravely.

------------------------------------

It was evening when Veer returned, he had brought along with him a package of discarded herbs. Devika took them after thanking him and went to her room eager to start her experiments. She instructed her maids to not interrupt her for some time.

She laid down in bed and entered the divine yantra. She brought along with her the package Veer gave her. She always slept on the bed when she entered divine yantra as to the outside world she always appeared asleep whenever she was in the yantra. The package that was in her hand disappeared from the outside world only to appear in the yantra. Devika successfully manipulated the time on the herbs and was able to bring life to the dull and dead herbs. Even the few rotten herbs began to glow with life and became healthy stalks in her hands. Happy with the result she gave a small laugh but quickly sobered. She realised that she couldn't use this to distribute herbs on a large scale that would be required. So instead she pondered on what she could do next.

'In order to make the herbs cheaply available, I will need to ensure their supply on a large scale. That wouldn't be possible if I relied on the discarded herbs as compared to discarded herbs the herbs available in good health would be more in the existing stores. Also even if I managed to get them in the required quantity; how would I explain it to others as to where am I getting them from? So obviously this isn't going to work.' Devika thought saddened.

'If the herbs were being manufactured locally, then their costs would be reduced. So I need to ask Father to provide me with land to start a local production of herbs. But will that be possible? If Father allocates some land to me then I can lessen the time required for the growth of these herbs with help of the yantra.' Devika thought.

Finally glancing at the herbs that she managed to revive, Devika managed to  relax a little. She chose out a few stalks that had their roots intact and brought them in the outer world. She called for Rewa and instructed her to bring some pots filled with soil in which Devika planted these stalks.