New Acquaintances

A/N: Hey guys, the last chapter was just way to long so I split it into 2 and put a quick recap at the top, italicized. Hope you enjoy! :)

Suddenly the sound of broken glass came from behind her, catching Eleanor's attention. She quickly levitated a gun to her hand and turned, pointing it at the stranger.

The man emerged from the shadows, revealing his face... Diego

Eleanor took a sigh of relief before dropping the gun and releasing her tight grip on Sarah.

   "Ellie," Diego began softly, as to not startle the weeping girl. "What happened?"

"I...I don't know. I was supposed to meet...her here, but I was late." Eleanor began, finding herself unable to say Sarah's name.

Diego quickly glanced to the woman Eleanor was near, putting together that it was her friend. He gave her a sympathetic frown before crouching down near her and holding her gently in his arms.

Eleanor allowed herself to cry as she held the man close. "It's okay, Ellie. It's okay." Diego soothed, as he rubbed a comforting hand along her back, like he used to do when they were kids.

The familiar gesture lessened Eleanor's tears as she eventually pulled away from him. Diego helped her up, keeping his hand protectively around her waist.

Eleanor would have blushed at the gesture, but she was to distraught to even realize it. Instead, she stared blankly into nothingness, letting her sorrow consume her as it had when Ben died.

Diego gave her a worried glance, as he looked around the now destroyed dinner, before coming to a realization.

"Eleanor was supposed to be here."

Diego suddenly held the girl tighter, catching her attention. She looked to the man, reading his mind for the first time in nearly a decade.

"Yeah, but I wasn't." She reassured him, yet he still held a fearful look at the mere idea of losing her.

"If it wasn't for what happened at the house, you would have been on time...you would have died..." he began, rubbing a shakey hand down his face.

Before Eleanor could say anymore, a noise emerged from the back room. Diego protectively pushed Eleanor behind him while grabbing a knife from his pocket.

"Who's there?" He called out, as an older woman came into view.

   "Agnes?" Eleanor asked, with a small smile as she moved in front of Diego.

"Eleanor! Thank god you weren't here!" She exclaimed as they took each other in a warm embrace.

   "I should have. I was late." Eleanor said guilty, but Agnes was quick to speak up.

"Nonsense. If you were here, you could have died." She said before releasing from the girl.

   "Sarah's..." Eleanor began, but found herself unable to finish the sentence.

"I know honey, I'm so sorry. I know how close you two were." Agnes said comfortingly as Eleanor quickly wiped a few tears from her eyes.

   "Can you tell us what happened?" Diego asked, in an effort to remove the image of a dead Eleanor from his mind.

"Well sure. Are you with the police?" She asked hesitantly as she looked him up and down. "Yes I am ma'am." Diego lied and Eleanor caught on.

"He's the best on the force." Eleanor said proudly, causing Agnes to immediately trust the man. After asking a few questions, the sound of sirens echoed in the distance.