Chapter 21

Leilani's heart was pounding.

Had he said what I think he just said?

Leilani really wasn't prepared for those words. Not because she didn't feel the same way, but because she was afraid of what they meant.

She would be leaving to college soon. This was becoming quite overwhelming for her. How on earth would she keep up with this relationship from across the country?

Leilani had serious thinking to do.

But she figured she could just think after her next few words.

"I love you too, Carter."

Leilani smiled down at him. Truthfully, she wanted to shed a few tears. She'd never felt like this before. It never dawned on her that her first love would be this surreal.

She spun on her heels, prancing away like Cinderella at the ball. Much like the princess, she too had to leave her prince behind. 

Back at the office,  Leilani and Sally were having their usual meet up in the break-room for morning coffee while also spilling morning tea

"Why don't you give Zach a chance, huh? The poor guy trips every time he tries to breeze by you." Sally couldn't help but giggle as she took a sip from her extra-extra-large pink coffee mug. Leilani read the words on the mug: I Am Thee Boss. Very Girl Boss of Sally. 

"Honestly, I don't have time for anyone at the moment." Leilani was indeed telling the truth. She had no time for Zach because she was slipping into a love coma that she shared with Carter.

 Leilani also wanted to put an end to the Zach nonsense. She had no interest in Zach and Carter had no interest in seeing the two of them together. She remembered how bothered Carter had gotten. 

Sally's eyes disappeared as she rolled them. The action was playful but it rubbed Leilani the wrong way, slightly. 

"If I remember correctly, you told me you were a virgin at the company gala." Sally reminded Leilani. 

Did she really tell Sally that? Leilani didn't remember her virginity being a component of the conversation that night. Then again, they had been drinking. Yet, she remembered vividly ending the night with Carter. 

Just the thought of him brought back memories of their last night together. The sharing of the I-love-you's. Leilani couldn't help the smile that gently formed on her lips. 

Sally wrinkled her nose and sighed. 

Leilani cleared her throat. "Like I was saying, I just don't have the time." 

Sally wasn't buying it. She had just witnessed Leilani fall into some sort of trance. Sally knew Leilani had someone on her mind. She didn't know if it was a secret admirer, a crush, or possibly a boyfriend. Either way, Sally had decided she was going to find out. 

After all, she was the company's biggest investigator. 

"Oh, please. Girl, whatever or whomever just brought that smile and glow to your face just told me everything I needed to know." Sally half joked. The other half of the joke was seriousness. Sally was about to do serious sleuthing. 

Leilani wasn't sure if Sally was something to worry about in regards to her relationship with Carter. Leilani had gotten close with Sally and assumed their bond wouldn't succumb to any office gossip. 

However, Leilani knew Sally was the company's biggest blabber mouth. 

"We should get back to work." Leilani suggested, quickly as she tried to end the developing tension between the two of them. 

While she knew she had nothing to worry about, Leilani couldn't let go of Sally's persistence. She hadn't seen Carter yet so she skipped the trip back to her cubicle and headed straight for his office. 

Leilani let off a series of lite knuckle taps. Carter knew it was his lady from the sweetness that came from the distinct knocking. Carter rose from his office chair, dropping the pen in his hand and nearly bolted to the door. 

Trying to maintain his sternness and professionalism, he buttoned his suit jacket and kept his right hand in his pocket as he opened the door. Carter tried to keep his smile to himself as the sight of her nearly set him on fire. He combatted this by pressing his lips together foolishly. 

Leilani did the same. 

"Um, good morning, Mr. Vanderbilt." Realizing her back was turned to the office cubicles, Leilani let go of her straight face and displayed the loveliest grin. 

Melting, literally, Carter just wanted to get her inside his office. "How can I help you Ms. Jones?" He backed away and moved aside so she could join him for their little daily doses of each other.

Once the door was closed, Carter pulled Leilani into his chest and wrapped his arms around her. He pecked her forehead a few times before his hands traveled below and her lips met his. Carter's hands roamed Leilani's body. 

Their eagerness subsided after a few minutes and the two brought themselves down from cloud nine and returned to the office. There was actually a lot of work to do. 

Leilani attempted to take a seat at the chair across from his desk but Carter grabbed her hand and had her follow him to his, where he placed her in his laps with one of her arms draped across his shoulder. 

"You're going to hate me, love." Carter began, looking up at Leilani, who already knew what was going on. 

Her eyes glazed at the stack of thick manilla envelopes that were stacked at least a foot tall on his desk. She wasn't at all bothered by the work, especially since she would be helping Carter while also actually having a purpose at the office. Leilani wasn't just Carter's woman. She was an incredibly useful employee.

"No worries." Leilani placed a sweet, quick kiss upon his lips and grabbed the pile of folders. 

"You really are superwoman." Carter helped Leilani with envelopes as he walked her out of his office, unintentionally their hands were still locked as she was halfway out of the door. 

Zach tried to breeze his way back to his cubicle but tripped in front of his obvious office crush. His eyes caught their hands. 

The couple hadn't noticed, but Zach did. 

At least it wasn't Sally, right?