Chapter 2:

Mr. Richard gets up off his seat, and I watch him go around the corner. I search for someone else to talk to, but I see that I'm alone. Utterly alone. I bite my bottom lip, twiddling my fingers to keep myself busy. A woman comes in to sit at the desk, a bag in her hand.

"Hello."

"Hello. Who might you be?"

"I'm Colby. Are you the receptionist?"

"I sure am. My name is Honey Jackson. Do you need something?"

"Mr. Richard is getting me Percy Jackson. You have the same last name."

"Well, would you look at that? Are you here by yourself?"

"Not anymore, since you are here."

"I'm glad I'm able to keep you company. How old are you?"

"Sixteen. How old are you?"

Honey's eyes widen as I ask the same question she asked me. She clears her throat, turning away from me slightly. I feel rejection hit me like a bulldozer. I don't know what to do as Honey doesn't answer my question. I try to get another conversation going with her, but for some reason, I'm ignored.

When Mr. Richard comes back and senses the tension, he asks me if everything is okay. I answer with the practiced words, 'I'm great', before taking the book from his hand. Richard gives me an unconvinced look and turns to glance at Honey. After a few minutes of them speaking in quiet conversation, Mr. Richard and Honey separate.

"Colby, are you going to be okay sitting out here?"

"I'll be fine, Mr. Richard. Annabeth will keep me company."

Mr. Richard chuckles softly before turning his attention to the gal who just walked in the door. I'm about to say hello when Mr. Richard forces me to turn my attention to Percy. I guess he doesn't want me interacting with other people. That's okay. I don't have to, whatever makes him happy.

I'm already on the twentieth page when someone else walks in the door. I glance my eyes up to see a boy standing there. Immediately, I want to know him. Whether that is because of whatever my disease is or because of something else...I don't know. But he looks cute, sweet, but also really good looking. The boy catches me staring, giving me a wink.

"Honey! How are you?"

She grunts in reply, making the boy with a soothing voice look at her confused.

"What's going on?"

"Ask the girl. She asked me my age! My age, Eli!"

"Well, keep a smile on that thirty year old face."

"Gosh. Lady killer."

"A seventeen year old lady killer. I know. I smile, and they're locked in heaven."

Honey gives him a warm smile before waving him off towards the seats. Eli, I think, is now walking towards me. Butterflies flutter in my stomach as his brown eyes stare into mine. When he sits, his cologne, a woody smell, fills my nose. Ease washes over me, making me feel comfortable. Not only is it because I'm not alone but because he's sitting next to me. His arm reaches up to take a hold of mine.

"Name's Eli Clemens."

I speak softly, not trusting my own voice. I look down at my book, but his hand picks my head up. He gives me a small smile, almost as if he's encouraging me to speak. I gulp, biting my bottom lip.

"Colby Violet."

"Pretty name."

"Thank you, Eli. Are you looking for something?"

He chuckles, a gorgeous smile coating his face.

"No one has ever asked me that question."

"Oh? Are you?"

"Aren't we all? What are you looking for?"

"I have no idea, but you never answered my question."

"I'm in the same boat. No idea, Colby. No idea."

"You might stumble upon it."

Eli nods, his eyes scanning over my face. He grabs my hand and rubs small circles over the back of it. I smile up at him before our fingers intertwine. I giggle as he tugs at my arm, but that's when I see the tattoos up his arm. I gasp in fascination, closing my book and using my other hand to trace them. Eli doesn't say anything, instead he studies me.

"They're beautiful."

"Thank you. I got them when I was sixteen."

"I'm sixteen!"

"Wow, that's amazing! Can you drive?"

"No. My mom never let me. Does your mom let you?"

"I can, but I got grounded after she found out about the tattoos."

"Oh no. Are you ungrounded now?"

"Yep. I'm officially free."

"Is your mom used to tattoos?"

"She's getting there."

"That's good."

A comfortable silence surrounds the both of us, making me feel safer than ever before.