Chapter 4:

Colby smiles at me. Her hand that's not holding mine reaches for my denim jacket. She plays with the buttons on the one side, tugging at them slightly.

"Be careful. I don't want you to break them."

"Okay, Eli."

I run my fingers through her hair as she keeps herself busy quietly. I wonder if this girl has a phone. That way I can get her number and text her. That way I can talk to her all the time. I press a kiss to her head, and I can hear her giggle. She backs away from my chest, looking at me in my eyes. Her small hands grab onto my shoulders, so she can steady herself.

"Are you alright?"

Colby nods softly, and my lips dip to her forehead. When I back away, a smile coats her face. Someone behind me clears their throat and my beautiful Colby blushes. Oh my gosh. That was the cutest most adorable thing I have ever seen. I rub my thumb over the pink blush on her cheeks, and I try not to kiss the side of her face.

"I see you've met my son."

I glance up, smiling when I see my dad, Richard. I can see my dad intently glaring down at Colby and my intertwined hands. But, I don't break away. I like it way too much. If that isn't terrifying enough, to like this girl that I've known for a minute, she's also my father's patient (well, I'm assuming). If that isn't breaking some sort of professional, confidential law...I don't know what is.

"So, Eli. Can we talk for a second?"

At those words, Colby buries her head in my chest. At first I'm surprised, but then I realize what's happening. To calm the lovely girl, I run my fingers through her hair. I kiss the part of her head facing up to me, and I gently pull her legs around my waist. I make sure her dress still covers her legs before facing my father once again.

He sighs in frustration and disbelief, aware that this could go bad so quick. I understand it too. I know what I've gotten myself into. Me, Eli Clemens, a seventeen year old high school quarterback...is now going to have to help--for reasons completely irrational, unexpected, and fucking fast--Colby Violet, a sixteen year old beautiful girl with Dependent Personality Disorder.

And damn, I couldn't ask for anything more.

I smile up at my father, who is against the whole idea. But he knows it's too late. I'm going to help her be the most independent woman she can be even with her disorder. We're going to have to try real hard, it's going to be frustrating and difficult and a little crazy, but I'm going to be a part of this. Why would I not want to?

She needs support, and I'm more than happy to offer it. It might even help me. I've got anger issues of my own, and maybe...just maybe...Colby and I can help one another. Maybe, the people we need to help us grow, are each other. That might sound crazy. Fast even. Dumb. Stupid. Childish. But I don't care.

I glance down at Colby whose breathing has turned slow and even. She fell asleep. Relief, joy, and gratefulness are all present as I watch her in my arms. A rare smile spreads across my face, and I peer over at my father who is trying to process everything that's happening.

"This might sound bad coming from me, but what the fuck is happening?"

I snort quietly, not used to my father saying cuss words. I say them all the time, but my father has always advised against it. Now here he is...saying it to me. Oh, how the tables have turned. Or as Michael Scott would say, how the turntables.

"I saw here, and instantly wanted to know who she was."

"So you walked over here and just...talked to my patient."

"What was I supposed to do? Ignore her existence?"

"No, but maybe getting to the point where you give lovey dovey eyes at each other is a little inappropriate."

"Dad. Come on. It's too late."

"She told you about her disorder already?"

"Yes. Is that weird?"

"I'm not sure, but I'll find out. I think I already know the answer, but what would you say if she was going to stay with us?"

"Fuck yeah! She can stay in my room!"

My father purses his lips and shakes his head as if it's the worst idea in the world.

"Where else is she going to stay?"

"We have a guest house."

"She's gonna stay there all alone?"

"Yes because she has to learn to not be dependent on being near someone all the time."

"Why not gradually?"

"Son, are you the psychologist here? Do you have a PsyD or PhD?"

"No. I don't but-"

"Then, let me do my job. If I'm wrong, I'm more than willing to hear your ideas, but she has to learn. We can't baby her just because her disorder tells her to be one. She's a sixteen year old girl who deserves freedom and independence. As much as she can get...at least."

"Can I help?"

"Yes, but even if it's hard, you have to listen to me. It's gonna be difficult."

"That's alright. Our family can help."