Chapter Thirteen : Is That A Rhetorical Question?

Twitter: @BlairHoldenx

Instagram: @jessgirl93

*Not proof-read I'll do that in the morning*

Dedicated to Call-Me-Bell for the amaaaaaazing new cover <3

Also dedicated to all you guys who wanted Cole and Tessa to dance to Little Things :) Proud Directioner :') 

Chapter Thirteen : Is That A Rhetorical Question?

Beth is a lot of things. She's tough; she's confident, outgoing, unapologetic and a little too punk rock. What I haven't pegged her as is someone who's as interested in my love life as the rest of the town is at the moment. I can still sense everyone's gaze on me and it's tempting me to go all Kardashian on them and give them something to really watch.

Okay getting back to the topic at hand. Beth, yes my perfectly sane if just a little out there friend is starting to freak me out with her constant look of absolute amazement on her face. It's somewhat uncomfortable to have her liner rimmed eyes on me like this especially in response to what I've told her.

"You're going to the Founder's Ball?"

"Yes."

"You're participating in that demeaning competition?"

I flinch at her words but nevertheless repeat what I've previously said.

"Cole's being your escort?"

I nod my head and she sighs, "I knew I'd lose you to the establishment one day. Megan, I could imagine pulling this on me but you Tessa? I'm just disappointed."

"Oh come on, there's no establishment. My mom's blackmailed me into entering the pageant and I have to go to the Ball, the Mayor's my dad."

 "Details, details," She dismisses my rebuttal with a flick of the wrist and collects her books from her locker. We walk side by side to homeroom and yet another hour of watching Ms. Sanchez being attacked by spitballs.

"But I've always gone to Ball, ever since I was a kid. What are you getting mad?"

"I'm not mad," she sighs again, "It's just that for the last two years you've been the only person I can trash the stupid tradition with. Remember how we always snuck out halfway through your Dad's speech."

I smile remembering how I have never stayed at the ball for more than an hour or so. No one noticed when I left; I don't know whether the thought should make me happy or want to burst into tears.

"It's different this year. I feel like my family's finally getting it together and I want it to work." I reply clutching my books to my chest as I'm shoved into by someone who closely resembles one of Nicole's minions.

"Watch it you bimbo." Beth yells over her shoulder and then shakes her head.

"I have a bad feeling about all of this. Nicole's not going to be happy about you entering; god knows how desperate she is to win this thing."

"Though," she continues without me having added a word to ease her concern, "if you beat her it could change everything."

I listen to her talk about the new world order and the possibilities of world domination. She sounds a lot like Cole right now. Both are under the impression that winning a beauty contest would ultimately help me dethrone Nicole and take her place as the new Queen Bee. I do not want that, I have never wanted that but to see her lose what she cherishes most...well it would be quite a sight. That's the plan, taking away all that she treasure most and being as shallow as she is, that mostly means her popularity. It's rather low of me to want that but after all these years of letting her stomp over me with those gigantic feet of hers, it feels right.