thirty-one

The school year was over quickly

The school year was over quickly. Exams were postponed and lessons were cancelled for Dumbledore's funeral. Some students decided to stay at school and attend the funeral, but I couldn't bear it. I went back home with my dad as soon as I could.

"I'm not sure if I want you to go back to school next year, honey," my dad told me one evening over dinner. It was nice to be back at home with my dad.

"Dad, I have to finish my education, it's my last year," I said as I chewed my chicken.

He shook his head. "I know," he said softly. "I just don't want you to get hurt. I couldn't bear to lose you too, not after your mum..." he trailed off.

"I'll be fine, dad," I replied, but I wasn't even sure if I could believe that.

The summer holidays seemed to go on forever. There were more attacks on Muggleborns, but I kept telling my dad that I had to go back to school.

Draco never wrote to me. I didn't write to him either. What if someone else found my letter? I just had to hope they he would be at school next year, but I wasn't even sure that he would be. He was a Death Eater now, why would he even need to go to school anymore?

* * *

When September finally arrived, I Apparated to King's Cross Station. I was seventeen now, so I was allowed to do magic outside of school.

When I ran through the barrier to Platform 9 3/4, something seemed different. Usually, the atmosphere was cheerful and loud, but now, people were speaking in hushed voices. It somehow seemed less bright.

I pushed past the crowd and boarded the Hogwarts Express, dragging my trunk behind me. I started to make my way over to where the Slytherin's usually sat, but someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around. Ginny Weasley was standing there. Her long ginger hair was flowing around her freckled face, which had a worrisome expression on it. "Come sit with me, Eva."

I looked at her. I wasn't really friends with Ginny, but something about the look on her face told me that I should follow her. I nodded. "All right then."

I followed her to a compartment. She slid open the door and sat down. Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood were already in there. I took a seat besides Ginny with Luna across from me.

Neville gave me a small smile, and I returned it. Luna glanced up at me from her upside down copy of the Quibbler.

"Are Harry, Hermione, and Ron coming?" I asked. I was looking forward to seeing Hermione again.

Ginny frowned. "They're not... they're not coming."

I stared at her, cocking my head to the side. "What do you mean, 'they're not coming'?"