16│THE ONE-PERCENTERS CLUB

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ-ᴘᴇʀᴄᴇɴᴛᴇʀs ᴄʟᴜʙ ꒱

❝ YOU REALLY ARE INCREDIBLE ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"Hey— Julie," Jack started. "I just realized something."

The pair was working on homework in the public library on Friday. The girl looked up from her math assignment. "What's that?"

"We've never been to each other's houses."

"Yeah, so?"

"So, we've known each other for ages now and all we've ever done is hung out in public places."

"Are you trying to say something?" Juliet asked with a slight smirk.

"What? No!" the boy flushed. "I just. . . never mind."

"No, no, go ahead," she encouraged him. "It's not that I don't have anything against just the two of us hanging out but my. . . living arrangements aren't really suitable for, uh, visitors."

"Why?" Jack asked curiously.

"Well," the redhead hesitated. It wasn't like she'd lied and said she was rich but most people turned away once they realized where she was from and no amount of intelligence could bring them back. "I, uh, live in the Rainbow Falls complex," she finished awkwardly.

"That dump?" was the first thing out of the boy's mouth before he winced. "Sorry, that didn't come out right. I've just never met anyone from there. That's the one right next to the trailer park, right?"

"Right," the girl confirmed. "And I understand if this means you don't like me anymore," she continued. "You wouldn't be the first person so you don't have to feel sorry or bad about—"

"Jeez, Ocean Eyes, way to jump the gun," Jack interrupted her. "Look, where you come from doesn't really matter. I totally get living in a place you don't want people to know you're from there, so really, there's no need to worry."

"Oh," was all she said, then— "why d'you understand?"

"Well," it was the boy's turn to look awkward. "It's a completely different situation but also the same. It's also my reason for never inviting you over."

"D'you live in a complex too?" she asked, despite the high improbability. Jack dressed way to nicely on a daily basis to be from anywhere like Rainbow Falls.

"No," he admitted. "Well, it is quite complex, but it's not a complex— if you get what I mean."

"So you live in a big house," Juliet guessed. "That's fine, I'm not intimidated by that. I mean, Cory's got a normal, middle-class family so I'm used to it."

"Uh, we're slightly more than middle-class, Ocean Eyes."

"How much is slightly?" the redhead asked with growing suspicion.

"If you agree to come over I can show you. Just let me know when and my driver can pick you up."

"Driver?" she repeated incredulously.

"Mmm," Jack answered, avoiding her gaze. His blue eyes were focused on the math problems that they'd previously working on and the pencil in his right hand tapped on the table erasure-end down.

"Are you rich-rich?"

"You could say that. My dad owns the bank."

Juliet's jaw dropped. "You're that Montacute?"