17│ON THE AIR

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀɪʀ ꒱

❝ DON'T MOVE. MAYBE
HE DOESN'T SEE US ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"'Good morning, John Adams High. After a ten-year absence, we've dusted off the console and put Patriot Radio back on the air!'" Mr. Feeny's voice greeted them over the loudspeakers. The sound effect of someone burping followed before music came on before he continued: "'and with me here is my engineer and wacky sidekick on the morning zoo, Mr. Alvin Meese.'"

"'Thank you, Mr. Feeny. You're a great friend to the radio'" Juliet scowled slightly as Meese's voice followed, having not forgotten that he'd called her a cheater.

"'That's enough, Alvin. Nobody likes a mike hog,'" Mr. Feeny scolded him. "'And now, because the halls of our school beat with the lively heart of contemporary youth, here is the happening sounds of Mr. Michael Bolton.'"

Nature sounds followed this announcement and caused all the students in the vicinity to cover their ears. 

"Ah! Make it stop! Make it stop!" Cory yelled to Shawn.

"It's not so bad!" Juliet called over her own plugged ears.

"It's hard to cut the wires with a plastic spoon," Shawn said as he attempted to saw the wires with the utensil.

"Just rip the whole speaker down!" Cory exclaimed.

"Hey guys, try this knife," a voice spoke over the complaints.

"Thanks," Shawn replied, taking it. Then the three of them froze and turned to look at who it was. The sight of Mr. Turner had them gasp and point in unison.

"Down," Mr. Turner commanded the boy and Shawn reluctantly stepped down. "Come on, guys. The station's only been on for five minutes. Is it really that bad?"

"And now for a little change of pace. A blast from my past, this is Mr. Perry Como," Mr. Feeny's voice returned before classical music played.

"Look, Mr. Turner, you clip the wires and we'll cover for you," Cory tried to convince him.

"You don't like what you hear? Get on the air and do better," Mr. Turner suggested.

"Us? On the radio?" Shawn asked as the trio followed their teacher.

"Yeah, see if you can't squeeze it in between doing nothing at school and doing nothing at home."

"Ouch, Mr. Turner," Juliet huffed.

"What are you saying? That we don't do anything?"

"You know, we should think about that," Cory said.

"I don't wanna," Shawn objected.

"No, Shawn, maybe he's got a point. I mean, maybe if we became radio personalities then we'd have. . . personalities."

"I don't wanna do nothing," the dark-haired boy said petulantly.

Juliet rolled her eyes. "Shawnie, it's just us sitting around and talking."

"Like we are now?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Maybe you have to push a button," Cory put in.

"How hard?"

The curly-haired boy demonstrated the motion. "Like this."

Shawn copied him. "Hm?"