18│BY HOOK OR BY CROOK

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ʙʏ ʜᴏᴏᴋ ᴏʀ ʙʏ ᴄʀᴏᴏᴋ ꒱

❝ GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Juliet jumped as she felt a gust of air woosh pass her face which was followed by another person occupying the chair next to her. "What's up, Ocean Eyes?" Jack asked cheerfully.

The redhead rolled her eyes at him. "Can't you sit in a chair like a normal person?" she asked the boy, as he'd turned the seat around so that the back was pressed against the table and his long legs straddled either side.

"It's more fun this way," he answered with a teasing wink. "Anyway, where are your friends? Don't you usually hang out with them after school?"

"Well yeah, but Cory's got Mono, Shawn's working at his uncle's and I usually only hang out with Topanga during school so now I'm studying. Or was," she added with some annoyance.

"It's a good thing I'm an enjoyable distraction then," he hurried on without allowing the girl to make a comment. "Since Hunter and Matthews are busy d'you want to come over again?"

Juliet tilted her head at the blond boy. "You know you can hang out with Cory, Shawn and me, right?"

Jack's blue eyes darted away from hers and to the table in front of him. "Thanks for the offer, Ocean Eyes, but I don't think Hunter likes me much. I don't want to cause tension between the two of you."

"Shawn's just being a jerk," the redhead offered. "I dunno why he's like that but he doesn't really have a right to be. You really should hang out with us sometime, it'd be fun. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm free this weekend except for some chores around the apartment."

"Great!" the boy said happily. "We can help my mom garden."

"Garden? I thought you hated bugs?"

"I do," he confirmed. "But you're okay with them and I do like being outside. There's lots of work to be done now that spring is here. Besides, I could be your butler."

Juliet grinned. "Now there's something I'd like to see. You'd get me anything I asked for?"

"Yup, though some items may take several days to arrive," he said. "And before I forget— you know you don't have to dress up for this, right? Or any time you come to visit? I don't want you to feel like you have to become someone you're not just to fit in," the boy added more seriously.

The redhead reached out and gently squeezed his hand, causing both of them to turn slightly pink. "Thanks, Jack. I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Yep. I'll let you get back to that exciting studying," he said with a smile, and he reached out to tug her long, red hair teasingly.

The gesture was so similar to the one Shawn had done over the years that it made her heart ache at the once-familiar action. Juliet ignored the feeling and smiled brightly at the boy. "Can't wait!"

🌎🌎🌎

When she arrived at Jack's family's mansion on Saturday, James-the-butler led her straight to the gardens instead of calling the boy down. Juliet had followed the blond's advice and wore her older jeans with a comfortable t-shirt and her long hair was in its traditional twin braids.

The older man cleared his throat. "Mrs. Montacute, your assistant has arrived." There was a lighthearted note in the man's voice. The blonde woman looked up and tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear as she smiled up at the girl.