Episode 7 - Not-So-Little Little Brother

"Lloyd. LLOYD!" Kai shouts, drawing my little brother's attention from the kids playing in the street. "Concentrate."

I cant help the sigh that escapes my lips. I know exactly how Lloyd feels, not being able to play like other children. Having spent half my life in the underworld training to be the most powerful Ninja in all of Ninjago, I never got to enjoy some of the simplest things one enjoys as a child: things like playing soccer with my friends, throwing a big birthday party, or having a sleepover. These are things that most people take for granted, things that I missed out on, things that Lloyd will miss out on.

"Now that the Bounty is in our possession again, we can train you more effectively. But you'll have to focus. One more time," Zane says.

"Oh, give him a break!" I growl, pushing past the boys to stand beside my little brother. "He's been training all day."

"It's all to get him ready to face your Father. Now, in position," Cole replies.

Lloyd lets out a sigh and saunters to the middle of the deck. The Ninja grin at him and pull on their hoods. I frown, but do the same. Lloyd yawns and boredly waves his hand, signaling us to go. Kai leaps  forward, swinging out with his leg. Lloyd skillfully deflects the kick, knocking Kai to the ground. He lets out another big yawn. Jay and Zane both launch themselves into the air, but Lloyd does spinjitzu to knock them away. Cole charges towards my brother, sliding towards him so as to knock out his feet, but Lloyd is able to jump out of the way. With a role of the eyes, a take a powerful step forward and roundhouse kick Lloyd, who's back is turned towards me. With a grunt of surprise Lloyd is thrown to the ground.

"That was fun. Are we done?" Lloyd asks, looking up hopefully.

"Oh, come on. You're better than this. What's on your mind?" Jay asks, helping my brother to his feet.

"Well, the latest issue of 'Starfarer' just came in at Doomsday Comix and it's a limited run, so if I don't go and get it, it's going to sell out. Last they left off, intergalactic rogue Fritz Donogan was surrounded by the imperial sludge, and if I don't find out if he gets out alright, I think I might have my own doomsday!" Lloyd explains, his voice growing more frantic with each word.

Kai sighs. "The fate of Ninjago rests on your shoulders. As the Green Ninja, you have a giant responsibility to hold. I'm sorry, but you don't have time for such childish things."

"All the other kids get to play and have fun. All we ever do is train!" I find myself shouting. All five of the boys stare at me with wide eyes. Their curious looks only fuel the ball of fiery rage burning within me. "You don't know how it feels to have the weight of the world resting on your shoulders. You don't know how it feels to forfeit your childhood because your supposedly going to be the best there ever was. You don't know how it feels to have absolutely no friends, except for the dimwitted skeletons who practically raised you!"

With that, I storm away from them, pushing past a confused looking Nya. I race down the hall, bursting into my room and collapsing on my bed. Trusting that I am alone, I let the tears flow. I cry for my lost childhood, I cry for my evil father, I cry for my missing mother, and I cry for my brother who receives the same fate as I.

        ~

I don't notice her enter until her arms are wrapped around me, pulling me away from my pillow, now damp with tears. Nya brushes my tangled hair out of my face and offers me a tight smile. I rub my nose, which is wet with snot, and wipe at my raw eyes, which are undoubtedly red, before returning the smile with half the heart. Nya grabs my hand and offers it a small, reassuring squeeze. She gives me a moment to compose myself before she speaks.