Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Angela’s POV

I had just put Amanda to bed. It had taken a bit of time but she finally went to sleep.

As I walked to the living room, in my pj’s, I kept thinking of how I had kissed Derrick. I was mortified when I saw Amanda looking panicked, it broke my heart I couldn’t even imagine how Derrick had felt looking into her eyes. I just hoped that she believed me…that Derrick wouldn’t hurt us, that he would protect us.

Before she fell asleep she asked me once more if I was okay. I just repeated the same thing I had told her before we had diner, that I was great.

I could hear the TV as I entered the kitchen. I wanted a glass of water before going into the living room.

‘Hey, you want something to drink?’ I asked Derrick.

‘Yeah, I’ll come help.’ I heard him say. I heard him get up and I could hear his footsteps.

‘I don’t think I’ll need help, it’s just two glasses.’ I said, turning to look at him enter the kitchen.

He stopped walking and just smiled at me. I smiled back but then I noticed it wasn’t his normal smile, it was a “I’ve got a secret smile”.

‘What?’ I asked him.

‘Huh?’ He said still smiling.

‘What is it?’ I asked him.

‘Nothing. I’m just smiling at you.’ He said.

‘Cut the crap, what?’ I said, laughing a bit.

He lifted his shoulders and shook his head so I rolled my eyes and continued to go grab to grasses when I notice 2 cans on the counter. My two cans of spaghetti I had used and put into the trash and has completely forgotten about.

Crap, I thought to myself.

I turned and looked at Derrick who now had this huge grin on his face. Very easy to say, he was proud of himself.

I looked around the room, trying to find something, anything to say but I had nothing.

‘So…I found those in the trash that you were supposed to hide from me.’ He said still smiling.

‘Oh yeah.’ I said still not looking at him.

He laughed, ‘Thank you for diner.’

I looked at him, knowing it was a joke except he looked serious.

‘Wait, you’re not going to say a joke or tell me how terrible it was?’ I asked him with my hands on my hips.

‘No.’ He simply said.

‘Why not?’ I asked confused. Usually he would have loved to put this in my face and I used to laugh with him about stuff like this.

‘Because I liked it. That’s why I buy it.’ He said laughing. Made sense, he did the groceries.

I turned back and looked in the fridge. ‘What do you want to drink?’ I asked him.

‘Coke.’ He said. I grabbed his pop and lifted it up so he could take it.

I grabbed the pitcher of water and filled a glass.

I put the pitcher away and we walked to the living room.

We both sat down on the long couch when he said, ‘I need to talk to you about something that you won’t like.’

‘Okay…’ I said, not knowing what to expect.