Aoi Ryugazaki || SquaryQ [Free! Iwatobi Swim Club]

Author: SquaryQ
Series: Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

Name: Ryugazaki Aoi 

Put their goddAMN NAMES THE RIGHT WAY AROUND. I get that it's honorifics, but come on. Her last name is Ryugazaki if we are speaking in English, so stop.

Fanfic: Truly Beautiful and Truly Understanding 

I like the reference to Rei, I can live with this. I just hope - for the love of god - that this isn't incest. Despite popular belief, it is not wincest.

Age: Truly Beautiful~ 15, Truly Understanding ~16

Hair colour: Cerulean 

Blue. Her hair is blue, guys. Just in case you were like me and knew it was a colour but nothing else. I have no clue why such a specific colour was used-

Eye colour: Violet

I would complain about the unnaturalness, but then I realized that this is Free!. We have more colours than Lucky Star (okay maybe not, but still).

School: Samezuka Academy

My god. I- I can't believe this. An OC that isn't an Iwatobi student? I need to mark this down as a monumental moment in my life. Finally.

Year: Truly Beautiful~ 1st year, Truly Understanding~ 2nd year

Strokes: Backstroke and butterfly

She's gonna be with Makoto. Think about it; her brother is Rei and he can (after a shitton of training, obviously) do butterfly. The fact she can do it too makes sense since she is related to him, but with the backstroke, I think it's just for convenience.

Specialist Stroke: Truly Beautiful~ backstroke, Truly Understanding~ butterfly stroke

What. I think that if she's been practising it so long, backstroke would still be her specialty after all of that. Even if she learned how to do butterfly, she would still be an ace at backstroke. Just some logic.

Family ((immediate)):

Aoi lives in a nuclear family, with her mum, dad and twin brother Ryugazaki Rei.

HER PARENTS AREN'T DEAD AND SHE DOESN'T HAVE AN ABUSIVE FAMILY MEMBER THAT IS A DRUNK FUCK. REJOICE!

She has an older brother, Ryugazaki Akira

*whispers* Who the fuck is this? "Hey guys, welcome to 'Lets make Rei's family as large as we can!"

Who in Truly Beautiful had moved back to the Iwatobi school district after studying marine biology at a university in Tokyo. In Truly Understanding, Akira moved back into his original home while Aoi was boarding at Samezuka.

Extended family:

Aoi has five cousins, one of which married into her family. The cousins that have the biggest influence on her throughout the series are her nineteen year old cousin Ryugazaki Aya and her husband Ryugazaki Jun. After the husband and wife duo, the cousin who is the most important to Aoi would be Aya's older brother, Ryugazaki Johan. Johan is stated to be training with the Japanese swim team in America, he frequently returns home to show his cousins support. Aoi has two other cousins, Amaya and Arata. These twins are closer to Aya and Akira than Aoi due to them being a lot older than her. They did however take Akira to Tokyo in the spring going into his third year at High School. Thanks to those twins, this trip became a family tradition.

Things that I ain't got time for; learning these names. I guess the game that I made up really is reality. There is so much information being thrown at me right now. I hope you know that aproximately 10% of the internet has the attention span to remember all of this, and I am one of the 90% that just can't process all of this. 

General Appearance:

At the start of the series, Aoi had long cerulean hair that fell live waves.

BLUE. Also, grammar.

However, Aoi received a haircut that resulted in her hair being cut into a considerably shorter pixie like hairstyle. Her hair is currently down to her collarbone. Her skin is pale and her eyes bright and cherubic. She's shorter than her twin but has an athlete's build too, wide shoulders and slightly muscular arms due to her constant swimming.

Didn't we already have an appearance section? No? Okay.

History:

Before Aoi and Rei turned six, the two had gone to the local swimming pool with their family and Rei went into the deep end and almost drowned, he always blamed Aoi for his near death experience but it was actually the ten year old Akira that had pulled Rei under and caused him to almost drown.

Most OOC Rei I have seen in recent times. Rei isn't a prick like that. Also, Akira is a douchebag, how dare he share a name with the famous movie that fucked me up- actually, that's surprisingly fitting, continue.

For ten years, Rei hated his twin sister.

No.

During those ten years, Aoi bonded with another swimmer who, like herself, appreciated the life water has. Her name was Matsumi Shizuoka. Shizu' was Aoi's best friend and they dreamed of swimming together in the Olympics. Aoi was twelve when she lost her best friend. It was a hit and run, Shizu' had fallen off of a cliff and into the sea after being hit by a careless driver.

THIS CAME FROM NOWHERE. I take back what I said about the none tragic past. But I'm just sat here wondering how that death even worked in the long run...

She vowed at Shizu's funeral that she would achieve their dream and make it to the Olympic stage.

Typical main character aspiration. Reminds me strongly of Rin and his dad, to be honest.

Personality :

Aoi is driven and determined in both normal Samezuka life or swimming. She used to strive for excellence due to there only being two female swimmers at the academy...and that took a lot of work to put into action. In Truly Understanding, Aoi strives to keep her dreams alive and kept going despite facing responsibilities of being a vice captain.

Despite her drive, Aoi is lighthearted and enjoys having fun with her closest friends, Nito', Fubuki and Kaito.

Who in god's name are Kaito and Fubuki? Too many OC's for my liking to be honest, but this about Aoi, not the story, I guess.

She is also funny, demonstrated mainly when she is around her love interest, Tachibana Makoto.

I should be crowned King of Forseeing Events.

Overall Score: 8.5/10 Not bad; she's an OC I can get behind. Other than a few cliches, and the fact that Rei is completely OOC towards her, she's good. :)