Seventy-One

This is really important for me to say, hence why I'm saying it here, and not at the end, but I wanted to dedicate this chapter to a wonderful person called Gloria Barley. I could dedicate the remainder of this story to her and her memory, and it still wouldn't be enough. It upsets me to tell you that Gloria died recently. She was a great mother to her two beautiful children, and my heart breaks for them knowing they won't have their mum there in person.

She wasn't just a reader to me, but someone who quickly grew to become my friend. People in my Ebony & Ivory Facebook group knew her well as she was an active member who always showed such insight and I remember whenever I uploaded a new chapter, I'd always look out for her comments and messages because I really valued what she had to say. In no way do I want to make this about myself (because it truly isn't), but I feel like I've let her down by not having finished my story in time for her to read it. I know it seems insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I hate that I couldn't do that for her. I hope that wherever she is, she's in a much better place, and that she knows that she's touched so many lives in such a positive way. 

Thankfully the funeral costs are mostly covered, but I've read it was Gloria's wish to have a gravesite in which her children could visit rather than being cremated. I know a lot of you won't know her, but if you're in a position to help, I'd be very grateful if you could give any donation - big or small to the following link. If we all donate even a little - that would be such a huge help for this family. 

https://gf.me/u/yya2rd

P.S You won't see my name amongst the donations if you're reading this before the end of the month as I'm waiting to get paid.

"If I lay here... If I just lay here... Would you lie with me and just forget the world?"

"So you want me to cancel all appointments?" Vada confirms, as we speak over the phone, seeming quite bewildered by the unexpected change in my availabilities.

"Please," I ask, "just for the next four days at least."

"What reason should I tell them if they ask for an explanation?" she double checks with me, and it takes me aback. Vada isn't aware that I'm currently driving in the car with Harry in the south of France, back to our special hideaway spot. I don't particularly feel in the mood to explain that to her, considering she saw what I went through when it all ended, so I just say the first thing that comes to mind.

"Just say that I had to get away for a few days... something personal came up!" I answer.

Half true I suppose...

"Right. Well you enjoy yourself then, and I'll see you when you get back," she dutifully replies.

"Thank you my love, I appreciate it. Please ensure you take some time for yourself. I have a spa voucher to use in a place opening in Kensington. Do ensure you use it while I'm away."