𝖎𝖎.𝖎𝖎𝖎 𝖘𝖒𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖛𝖎𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘

THE DISTRICT 4 VICTORS stood in a line, facing the crowd below them at the front of the Justice Building

THE DISTRICT 4 VICTORS stood in a line, facing the crowd below them at the front of the Justice Building. Haven, being the most recent Victor, stood at one end, Mags at the other.

The Mayor of 4 stood at the front of the stage, droning on about the past year's Games, before introducing the new Victor. The District 4 Victors, who were forced to be there, stood at the back of the stage, paying little to no attention. Haven's eyes drifted from the crowd below her, glancing to her left, making eye contact with Finnick, who seemed just as bored out of his mind.

The Odair boy subtlety tilted his head in the Mayor's direction, rolling his eyes. Haven bit down on her lip, stifling a laugh. He kept quickly turning his head, making ridiculous faces that only she could see, the blonde trying to hard not to laugh that her lip was about to bleed from her biting on it. "I swear to god, Odair." She muttered under her breath, turning her head to look away from him, back out at the crowd.

Her bubbly mood quickly dissipated when she looked up and saw this year's Victor, Marguerite Allard from District 5, tapping the microphone. Marguerite reminded Haven of herself; she also won her Games at 16, her weapon of choice was also a spear, and she even looked vaguely similar to her.

The main difference was that Marguerite wasn't sobbing in front of the entirety of District 4 like Haven had on her tour. Last year's tributes from 4 didn't even make it past the bloodbath, and Haven doubted the Victor even knew their names, making it easy for Marguerite to recite her monotonous speech.

Marguerite turned to address each of the families, and a few shuddered cries echoed through the otherwise silent audience. The Cleary girl stared down at her feet, knowing she'd lose it if she looked out at the families. She felt Finnick loosely grasp her hand, giving it a small squeeze. She flashed him a small smile, and he nodded back at her, letting go of her hand before anyone else noticed.

Haven tuned out the rest of the speech, coming back to reality as she was ushered back inside the Justice Building. The other District 4 Victors, and finally Marguerite followed behind her.

"You sure handled that a lot better than I did." Haven joked, extending her hand to shake Marguerite's. The new Victor laughed. "Thanks. It's nice to meet you, I remember I was rooting for you in your Games." Marguerite responded. "I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you." Haven spoke with a smile. Marguerite briefly introduced herself to the other Victors, before her escort whisked her out the door.

FINNICK AND HAVEN sat sprawled out on the sand, the calm waves gently lapping at their feet. "I'm proud of you, you handled that really well today." Finnick said, looking over at the girl. "I think that might've been the first time something related to the Games didn't make me have a total breakdown." She laughed, but there was an element of truth to her voice. "See? Progress." He smiled, giving the blonde a high five.

Finnick laid back on the sand, staring up at the cloudy sky. "Idiot. You know that sand is never coming out of your hair." Haven joked, shoving his side. The Odair boy reached his arm over, shoving her shoulder, the girl collapsing in the sand. "Really? You're so obnoxious." She sighed. "Mhhm. Then why do you hang out with me if I'm so obnoxious." He smirked.

"Oh shove it where the sun doesn't shine Odair!" Haven retorted. The girl flipped over onto her stomach, resting her chin on her hands. "You know who probably doesn't think you're obnoxious? Marguerite." Haven teased in a sing-song voice. "Huh?" The boy responded, raising an eyebrow. "C'mon, don't you think she's cute? I'm sure you could totallyyyy ask her out." The blonde continued.

"Eh. Not interested." He responded, lazily drawing circles in the sand. "Not interested? Why wouldn't you be..." The blonde paused. "Oh my goodness, there's someone else." The girl raised her eyebrows. "As your best friend, you're legally obligated to tell me." She playfully demanded. "Not a chance." Finnick replied, motioning him zipping his lips. "Ugh! You're so boring. I might just need to go hang out with Sebastian for some entertainment." She laughed, rolling her eyes at him.

The Cleary girl felt a few warm raindrops on the back of her hand. "Shit, let's get out of here before it starts pouring." She said, standing to dust herself off. The pair began making their way back to the Victor's Village, unfortunately not beating the rain as it started to pour on them as they got closer. Finnick held his bag over the shorter blonde's head, making a makeshift umbrella.

"Thanks, Fin." Haven said with a smile. "No problem. Plus don't witches melt if you get them wet?" He teased, Haven smacking his arm. "I kid! I only kid." He exclaimed.

Finnick walked the girl to her porch. He paused, looking down at Haven. The girl gave him a quick hug. "Thanks. Guess I'll see you later." Haven said. "
"Yeah. See you." He replied as she stepped inside, waving at him as he walked back to the street.

// author's note
wow! look who finally decided to update
this was fun 2 write. the whole time i was like wow, they're gonna hate me. lol. also haven is blind af but we love her anyways.
anyways thank u for reading xoxo
- a <3

haven being oblivious:

my writing/this chapter: