50 | Memories

Even though you had been in charge making dinner for your classmates before, you had never had to cook with Todoroki. Earlier in the day you had set yourself a deadline: you needed to talk to him about what you were actually feeling rather than shutting him out and making him wait for you to want to communicate.

While you had always preferred avoiding conflict, recently it just felt like you and Todoroki were treading on eggshells all the time. And that needed to change because it was not helping you in the least.

Oh my, I really am a coward. I haven't even told him that maybe we should take a break until I get better, but... then again, I can't carry on running away from everything. You kneeled down to get some vegetables from the fridge.

You bit your tongue, your chest tightening up at the thought. I haven't even asked him about the promise ring and I don't even know if I should.

While you chopped up some spring onions and chucked them to the pan, Todoroki washed the dishes you both had used to cook. He hummed a tune quietly, one you recognised to be a song you showed him the other day.

"C-Can I ask you something, Sho?"

Todoroki's met eyes with you, tilting his head sideways. "But, of course."

"What's your favourite song?"

Todoroki furrowed his eyebrows as he watched you fidget with your fingers out of anxiousness. Surely, that wasn't what you meant to ask? As much as people thought of him as oblivious, he knew you well enough to recognise the telltale sign that you were avoiding a difficult subject.

"You know I haven't got a favourite song. But if I had to choose, then... it would be one you recommended. It reminds me of you." Todoroki rinsed his hands in the sink and turned around to face you. "But, (y/n), was that really the question you wanted to ask me?"

Your hands went all sweaty and shaky. "So... I... Basically, I found this thing at your house. It's only a small thing but I've been meaning to ask you about it for some time. And..."

"And?"

You cleared your throat. "And I found a promise ring. For me, it seemed."

He stared at you rather blankly, waiting for you to elaborate.

"It's not like I'm saying no, or like saying yes, I just think it's all really soon but at the same time not? I just can't stop thinking about it and--"

"(y/n)," Todoroki interrupted you. "This is the kind of thing that when you keep to yourself, it weighs you down, yes?"

"Yeah?" You nodded, feeling your heart rattle against your chest, already regretting bringing up this subject. Still, he had not confirmed nor denied whether he had got that promise ring for you. Had you ruined the surprise? He had never alluded to it so all your rational thoughts seemed to have gone out the window as Todoroki took hold of your hand.

He caressed the back of your hand with his calloused thumb. "(y/n), I didn't purchase that ring for you," Todoroki stated. "Endeavour did."

You took in a sharp breath of air, but then slumped your shoulders, as a wave of relief laced with sadness washed over you. You rested your back against the kitchen counter, feeling too weak and faint to hold yourself up on your own. So, the promise ring is from back when Endeavour was trying to set Todoroki up with me. From when I was Todoroki's enemy number one... or two...

Gently, Todoroki pulled you into an embrace. As he stroked your hair, he took in the fresh scent of your shampoo. He shook his head sideways as he noted that he had only learnt about promise rings thanks to his research into romantic gestures. Though he had never been the best at expressing his feelings, he realised that neither were you. The carefree persona you showed others broke down in front of him more often than he would have ever expected.

As the ringing noise burst through your ears, you tightened your grip on your boyfriend. I'm so stupid to even think Sho would...

You held on to each other as if neither wanted to let go. Suddenly, the pressure of making dinner in time had just vanished into thin air. Even your surroundings had become secondary as you focused on each other until you broke the tender silence.

"Have I ever told you I love you?" You looked up to Todoroki.

Todoroki pulled away from you slightly, but then caught sight of your cheeky smile. "Don't tell me... You lost your memories?" He said in a deadpan manner.

"I forgot if I forgot anything," you played along. "I'm (y/n) (l/n). Nice to meet you, Todoroki."

"How did you know my name if this is the first time we meet?"

You scratched the back of your head and shrugged your shoulders. "Good point."

You wrinkled your nose at the smell of smoke. You whipped your head towards the pan, only to find the stir-fry turning into stir-burn, so you took the pan away from the heat.

Todoroki's lips curled into a small smile, making him realise that your way into Todoroki's heart in more ways than he could possibly understand. After years of unrelenting loneliness, you had brought him hope. And, though he didn't think of your relationship as a fleeting glimpse of the joy he had been deprived of while growing up, he sometimes just wished he could hold on to you that bit longer so that your lingering touches would bring you even closer.

Nevertheless, your voice snapped him out of his thoughts. "Don't just stand there, Todoroki! Please, help me or else we'll set off the fire alarm!"

---

Your classmates were not impressed by the meal you and Todoroki prepared. But, in all honesty, neither Todoroki nor you were surprised after spending the better half of the afternoon having deep chats rather than focusing on the cooking.

"Did you use your shitty quirk to cook this crap, Icy Hot?" Bakugo shouted across the room as he threw the stir-fry in the rubbish bin.

"I think you two tried hard so don't worry!" Midoriya, who sat in front of you two, gave both Todoroki and you a kind smile.

Ochaco took a bite. "Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, we're playing games after dinner and everyone wants you two to join! You should really take a break from training. It's what's best for your bodies!"

Kaminari swiftly joined into the conversation as he walked by with his tray. "I didn't know you were interested in what (y/n) and Todoroki do with their bodies!" He winked suggestively, making Ochaco gulp and blush.

"I didn't mean anything like that, Kaminari!" She shook her head.

Kaminari sighed. "That's no fun! Make sure to come to games night, though. We're trying out a game to get us to know more about each other."

You noticed Todoroki tense up next to you, so you placed your hand on his lap. "Why don't we only join games night for the start, only to payback for the food we fed everyone?"

Todoroki nodded slowly. "Yes, I was afraid you would suggest staying at the common room the whole time. I agree with you. If we just share in our classmates company, I can't see what can go wrong."