CHAPTER 8

AZ
Song: Graveyard- Halsey

"What's for lunch?" I ask the maid as I walk into the kitchen. I'm so hungry.

"Good morning to you too" Gramps says from the living room and I roll my eyes and smile.

"It's afternoon actually" a voice says, Shura's voice. My jaw drops when I turn around to find her lying on the sofa with her head on his thighs.
I am not pleased at all yet I walk up to Gramps and kiss his cheek.

"Why is she still here?" I ask him, ignoring her completely.

"Baby..."

"I thought we had had a good enough dose of her already." I look at her and she sits up, feeling uneasy.

"Don't talk like that... she'll leave but later in the day." Gramps informs me with a frown.

"I'll be gone by evening" she says and I roll my eyes. It's still 1pm. How many more hours?

"We were all just too tired from yesterday. It would've been extremely inconveniencing for her to leave this morning." Gramps explains.

"Alright then. I'm hungry" I say walking towards the kitchen. The cook has placed some sort of bundle on a tray.

"What the on earth is that?" I ask, squeezing my nose at the weird looking thing.

"Koki, it's so delicious." Shura interrupts.

I wasn't talking to you bitch.

"It's really good. And it was Shura's idea" Gramps says.

Great.

"She wanted to cook something special this morning. She made me tell her all the Cameroonian meals you hadn't tried yet. I just realised we've been here for approximately two years but you hadn't eaten Koki. It's really delicious baby."

"I thought we could eat something traditional, you know?"

No bitch, I don't know.

"Well, that's what you said about Achu and I ended up brushing my teeth over and over to get the taste out." I scoff.

"Come on, Achu is a delicacy. It's one of the things I missed most while we were in the Aussie." Gramps smiles.

"I thought there are restaurants over there that serve African meals."

'There are." Gramps replies rubbing his hand against her thigh. "But it can never compare to the ones made here."

"Yes but..."

I roll my eyes and walk away, ignoring the rest of the conversation. After pulling the sleeves of my oversized hoodie to cover my small hands, I climb on one of the chairs on the dining table.

"Why is it oily?" I ask the maid.

"That's how it is" Shura replies though I wasn't talking to her.

What the fuck is her problem?

I untie it and open the packaging which I assume are leaves, the same thing Achu comes in.
"What do you make it from?" I ask Tabitha.

"E get e beans. You stip the beans then you ..."

"I asked what it was made from not for the whole process" I stop her and get down to get a fork and a knife from the sink. I can't finish all of that so I cut some and put on my plate.

"You can keep the rest back." I say and she does just that.

"Make I put you planty... plantain." Tabitha proposes.