Chapter 15: pen pals

I don't own fablehaven.

Brackens POV

Today was starting to look up. As the weather continued to become colder, the skies had begun to darken. The cheeriness of the summer and spring seemed to have dwindled. It was still cold, but with Kendra at my side, telling me stories, I didn't think it could get any sunnier.

We were laying under one of the gazebos at the fairy queen's shrine, Kendra's hands flying in misshaped patterns, animating what she said.

"...from that day on, I had always loved mail! My Dad even set me up a pen pal from another country! I couldn't believe my luck!" Kendra gave a snort and it was silent for a moment before we both burst out laughing. "And don't even get me started on the stamps!"

We laughed for a while, wiping tears out of our eyes and clutching our stomachs. "Do you still have a pen pal?"

"No, that whole thing ended when me and Seth discovered Fablehaven. After that, we were too busy. You know, the whole 'saving the world' thing tends to consume some time." Her tone was still convivial, but I could tell she missed it. The creeping of an idea started to grow on my mind, forming a plan and taking shape. It was an idea I'm sure she would love.

Kendra breathed a deep sigh. "It's too bad, but all good things come to an end, right?"

I shifted my position. "Not necessarily."

"What do you mean?"

"What do I mean? I mean I think we can change that."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The first letter I gave her wasn't of much significance. It was merely a piece of scrap paper I had stuffed into an envelope. The message was brief and had a smiley face at the bottom. It was the kind a mother would stick in her child's lunch box. I had taped it to the corner of her desk, using the kind that wouldn't peel off the varnish.

Currently, I was strolling along the boardwalks and gardens of the castle. It was nice, the wind cool, the sun shining, the sweet smell.

"Prince Bracken!" A voice called out. I looked over my shoulder and saw an Astrid striding towards me. He gave a quick bow. "I have brought news." He produced an envelope from a pocket I could not see.

I nodded my head. "Thank you, Rostimus."

Rostimus gave another bow before heading off. I turned the envelope over. It had my name on it. It was also in Kendra's handwriting. I couldn't block a smile. I knew it was likely she would send one back, but I could never be sure. For all I knew Seth could have taken the envelope. What a disaster that would be.

I wasn't sure how Kendra had talked to Rostimus in the first place, or how she had convinced him to give this to me. But Rostimus was one of Kendra's bodyguards at the battle of Zzyzx, that might have something to do with it

I slid my finger across the top of the envelope, ripping it open. Inside was a folded paper, the edge jagged from being torn out of a notebook. I read through its contents slowly, absorbing each word. And I read it again and again. Kendra always had an interesting way of writing, but it was almost magical when she was using it to tell about her week.

I reached into my pocket and grabbed a pencil, twirling it in my fingers as I searched for a piece of paper. I opened several drawers and chests before I found an empty sheet. It was Manila colored and I set it on the desk it had belonged to. I thought for a moment, forming the sentences in my mind before I put pen to paper.

After I was finished, I stepped back to admire my handiwork. It was definitely eye-roll worthy. And that's all that really counted.

I folded it up before remembering I needed an envelope. I had thought I'd seen one earlier in the same desk, and I was wrong. Luckily the next chest of drawers over held one. I slipped the letter inside and licked the seal.