Chapter 28

When I arrive home that evening, I find Ambrose waiting for me, sitting at the bottom of the stairway with Dougal at his side. As I hang my jacket on the hook near the door, he comes behind me, sets his hands on my waist, and kisses the back and side of my neck.

His touch isn't unwelcome, and I suppose that after what we've done together, I shouldn't be surprised he feels he has such license, but it seems a bit excessive to pounce on me the moment I'm through the door.

"Where've you been?" he asks, tickling me with his breath as his lips move against my skin.

"With Julian," I reply, moving out of reach and heading for the kitchen.

I'm hungry and grumpy and, after what Julian learned today, somewhat less excited to have found my potential mate. If simply witnessing such a relationship is this stressful and exhausting, I'm not sure I'm cut out to be in one myself.

"Ah, I remember now. Did he find his answers?" Ambrose asks, following close behind.

"More or less." I shrug as I open the fridge.

A quick scan of the barren shelves within tells me a trip to the store is overdue. Finding the pantry in a similar condition, I grab a box of pasta and turn towards the stove. Ambrose intercepts me, taking the box from my hand and setting it aside before crowding me against the counter.

"Leave that," he says, tipping my face up by the chin and leaning to kiss me. "We can go out for something... later. My treat."

"I think you're supposed to buy me dinner first," I grumble, but he only smiles.

He presses close, the whole length of his body against mine, and desire radiates from him like heat.

"Gods, I want you," he murmurs, his tongue testing the seal of my lips and his hands sliding down my back. He's infecting my senses again, and my body responds to his touch; with an effort, though, I hold on to my mind.

"Ambrose... wait." I push him away, and thankfully he obeys. He leans forward, though, his chest pressed lightly against my hands, letting me know that the moment I allow it he'll move close again.

"Why?" he asks. "I've been waiting all afternoon."

"Just... slow down, okay? Look, I... enjoyed... what we, um... what we did—"

"We fucked," he interjects.

"I know," I snap. "I was there. And it was... nice. But this... whatever this thing is between us... I just don't know right now." My face feels very hot, and I'd like to slink away and hide for a year.

"What's to know?" he challenges. "You like me. I like you. We don't need to complicate things."

Something tightens in my chest, and suddenly my appetite is gone.

"I may not know what else I want, Ambrose," I say, "but I sure as hell don't want to be your fuck-buddy." I push past him, headed for the front door. "And you can get your own dinner—no strings attached," I add.

"Hey, now—that isn't what I meant," he says, following me into the entryway where he catches my arm and makes me stop.

I spin to face him, annoyed. He's being weirdly intense, and I'm too tired to figure him out. "Ambrose, let go," I say, jerking free. "I'm not in the mood for this right now."

I continue towards the door, and this time he doesn't follow.

"Noah, just wait a moment, please," he calls, and there's enough unwarranted patience in his voice that I obey, and turn back to look at him. "I know it's different for you," he goes on, seeing he has my attention. "I know that it's got to be the right combination of things, and that it's more than just physical. I know you're not the type to want a casual fling. But that isn't what this is." He gestures between us. "And you know that well enough."