XXVII

ISABELLÁ

ISABELLÁ

"D-DARYL" I croaked as I staggered over to his dead body.

How could this be happening? I knew it would happen one day, I knew we'd be lucky to live a long life through this world. But I didn't expect to lose him so soon.
He made this world worth living through. This whole time I thought been alone in this world was the best thing for me. But it wasn't. Being at his side is what's best for me.

My legs wobbled uneasy, and this time they did collapse. I flopped down next to his body.

Daryl's body was covered in blood, I couldn't tell if it was his or walker blood, or even the blood of our enemies. His body was pale and fragile. He was gone.

"I'm sorry" I whispered before grabbing his hand and taking it in mine. I squeezed his hand tight never wanting to let go.

How could I have let this happen to him? I should have been fighting at his side not going off on a one man massacre. My mind had been clouded for my urge to see the Governor dead. I had no thought for anyone else. I had been so selfish. This is why Daryl was dead.

It was my fault.

My heart physically ached, this man meant everything to me in this world and he was gone. He left me.

"You promised you wouldn't leave me again" I cried.

Merle was still some place behind me, I could hear his faint sobs.

I suddenly felt Daryl's hand tighten around mine. A glimmer of hope shone through. He was okay, he was alive.

But my mind decided to over ride this.

He wasn't okay. He wasn't alive. He was reanimating and I was going to have to kill him.

I let out a shaky breath as I set my sniper down and pulled out one of my glocks.
His eyes began to open. I didn't want to see this. I couldn't see him as a walker. I just couldn't.

I raised my glock up still hand in hand with him. I made sure to cover most his face with my glock so that I didn't have to watch him change.

I took one last deep breath ready to pull the trigger.

"Belle"

Belle? Only Daryl calls me that. Maybe I was hearing things. I knew I was definitely losing my shit a little bit but now I'm hearing things?

"Belle"

"Shut up!" I cried trying to push my thoughts aside.
It's just my mind playing tricks on me.
I straightened my arm continuing to aim it at his head.

...3

...2

I hand gently reached up around the tip of the gun pushing it down so I could see Daryl's face. He was looking straight at me. He didn't have the grey glazed over eyes that I'd expected, his eyes were as beautiful as ever.