Chapter 2

Finding a job is extremely hard, especially when you're a postgraduate. Most companies value experience than qualifications. They can't be blamed because hiring an inexperienced person for an IT related job is indeed a bad move for the company, putting their private information at risk. I spent the whole day asking for jobs at the companies that I've listed on my phone, and most of them said that they would call me soon if they needed me, which I expected.

Realizing that I have to attend Amelia's birthday party, I went straight home. Upon entering my apartment, Trevor was adjusting his tie while Hailey was in her room. Probably making herself look the absolute best to attract the male species to the party.

"Hey, girl, any good news?" asked Trevor.

"Nope. You know why."

"Don't worry; you'll get a job soon."

I sighed and went to my room.

After having a life-refreshing bath, I went to my closet to pick up the dress that Amelia herself bought me for my birthday. It was a burgundy dress transcending to black at the bottom, and it indeed matched with my complexion. When Hailey told me about the party, my thoughts went to picking this dress because this is the only time I'll ever use this dress, and this is the appropriate time to wear it, considering who I got this dress from.

Since I'm a minimalist in my appearance, I just applied some mascara, red lipstick and covered my almost non-existent blemishes with concealer. As I was combing my hair, Hailey walked in. She was undoubtedly gorgeous with that silver dress and the blue eyeshadow.

"Come on, at least you can wear some eyeshadow. This is a party of the Lockwoods. You have to look the best."

"No, Hailey. I think I look good enou-"

She took my hairdryer and comb, sat me down, and started doing my makeup. She finished it in a blink of time. Not gonna lie; she made me look pretty good.

"There you go. See, you look prettier now."

"Thanks, Hailey. You're the best."

I quickly sprayed myself with some cologne because there's only an hour left for the party to start.

With the three of us being ready for the party, we went to the apartment's parking lot to get to Trevor's car. As we were walking, Trevor jokingly asked, "Amy, did you hire bodyguards or something?"

I looked at him and asked, "What?"

"Well, while you were walking to Starbucks, I saw these two hunks with suits behind you. It kinda seemed like they were following you."

Upon hearing this, my thoughts quickly went to earlier this morning, when I felt like being watched in Starbucks. Without overthinking it, I said, "It must be a coincidence that those two men were going to Starbucks. I highly doubt those men even know me, and I'm definitely not the Kardashians."

They laughed it off, and we went to the car and set off to the venue of Amelia's party.

After entering the venue, which is obviously the grand ballroom in one of the hotels owned by the Lockwoods, I was stunned by the decorations, and everything just screamed luxury. Immediately, I just felt out of place. Number one reason being that I've never been to something as extravagant and luxurious as this before, and number two, parties are generally not my thing. Honestly, I rather stay at home reading a book, but this is Amelia's party so I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Walking into the ballroom, we were instantly greeted by Robin and Grace Lockwood, Amelia's parents. Both of them are a match made in heaven because they are lovely towards each other, and they don't mind showing affection in public despite their old age. The couple looked amazing in their outfits. Their stylist had done a great job on them.

"Amelia, sweetheart, how are you? You look beautiful as ever, my dear."

"Hello, Mrs. Lockwood, I'm fine, and you look beautiful as well."

"Of course, she's beautiful. She's my wife," said Mr. Lockwood while kissing her cheek. She blushed.

I was practically in awe of them because of the love they have. Everyone in the city adored this couple. They are just couple goals.

"Come on, the three of you; Amelia is waiting for you at the front. She has been asking non-stop about you guys," said Mrs. Lockwood.

We went there to see the birthday girl herself.

And there she was, sitting on the large chair. That long black gown and lace covering her torso, the smoky eyeshadow, and her tanned skin made her look like a queen. She is naturally pretty, and this was just the cherry on top.

As soon as she saw us, the mischievous green eyes of hers lit up, and she came to us, giving the three of us a bone-crushing hug as we were standing close to each other.