Allie

After my early hair appointment, I put a hat on before Spencer picks me up. He ran some errands while I was in there.

He was supposed to go get the kids from Savannah and Derek, but they aren't in the back seat.

"I think you forgot something," I tell him, looking behind us at the empty back of the car.

Spencer laughs and shakes his head. "No, I just wanted one more night with just the two of us."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Alright, but... last time. I miss them."

When we get home, I lock myself in the bathroom to do my makeup while Spencer works on a 'surprise' downstairs.

I don't know what it is, but I'm excited to find out. He wouldn't even let me help him with the groceries he got.

I start to get ready, having to style my hair in a slightly more messy way than the hairdresser did it.

With the area that was shaved being at an interesting length, I had to cut off all of my hair to get something normal-looking. What I ended up with was a layered, bowl cut with an undercut and pixie type of situation. My bangs are really short, hanging just above my eyebrows. The undercut is bleached and the rest is dyed with pastel colors— pink, aqua blue, yellow, mint green, and lavender.

When I get my makeup finished and pull on an older pink gingham dress that has a pretty heart-shaped twin cherry pattern on it, pairing it with my giant, heart-patterned pink cardigan, and sparkly pink boots that I haven't worn in forever.

I feel like myself again. Me— with shorter hair than I've ever had. But maybe the happiest I've ever been.

Sure, things have been rough. But I'm content. I'm happy with Spencer, and I'm figuring out the mom thing.

I sneak down the staircase, peeking around the corner and catching Spencer hanging up decorations. Streamers. There's more, I just can't see it.

Quietly, I head back up to our room to wait for him.

I sit down on our bed, reading through the news on my phone. I hear a bell jingle and look around.

Klaus! I haven't seen him since I got home.

I click my tongue and call his name, patting on the bed. Soon enough, he jumps onto the bed. There's a blue strip in his mouth. A ribbon?

"Hey, what do you have? What are you chewing on, buddy?" I scoop him up and put him in my lap, taking the strip from his mouth. It's not a ribbon, it's stretchy.

No, I know what this is.

It's a tourniquet.

Is Spencer using again?

I carefully move Klaus off of my lap after giving him a kiss, then move over to Spencer's side of the bed, getting on my knees in front of the nightstand to look through the drawer.

Nothing.

Alright, where else? Sock drawer? People always think that hiding things in their sock drawer is a smart move, but it really isn't.

I go to our dresser and go through his socks finding one in the back of the drawer with something in it. A tiny glass bottle.

I take it out of the sock to find that it's half-empty.

God, Spencer...

I don't even think about it before heading downstairs.

I'm sad for him, but I'm also fuming.

I find him in the dining area on a step ladder, hanging up a 'happy birthday' banner on the wall.

He grins when he sees me. "Wow! You look so beautiful, Al— wait—" He looks back up at the banner. "Babe, you were supposed to wait upstairs."