Chapter 30

Song: Kids

Artist: MGMT

Chapter 30

Octavia spent most of her time with her family. It felt like they were on holiday because she only saw their faces every day. She heard Ezekiel stopped by to finish the painting but didn't want to disturb him. In fact, if she saw him in the pool house where they had their most intimate conversations and moments, she would've gone back to it. 

Other family members like grandma Mora's sisters and children visited. Octavia visited every second day with her grandpa and took extra flowers. She upheld each of them because she didn't want the thought of death to cross her grandma's mind.

When the house was filled, Ezekiel thought it'd be the perfect moment to share his artwork. Octavia was at the hospital with her grandparents and FaceTime everyone at the house. Dustin on the staircase where he got the perfect view of where the painting hung. A sheet draped over it with Ezekiel in front of it.

 Octavia smiled since he dressed up. He wore a white shirt that tucked into a pair of grey pants and he topped it off with a pair of white canvas shoes. She wished she could've been there to run her fingers through his shiny curls and take in his special cologne.

Grandma Mora barely kept her eyes open, she was always exhausted so it wasn't a surprise when she didn't react the way everyone else did when the sheet came down. Octavia bit down on her lip at and spared a glance at her grandpa. His eyes were glossy as he stared at the portrait of the love of his life while holding her hand. 

Grandma Mora posed like Mona Lisa in the portrait and gave her signature smile where the corners of her eyes wrinkled and shoulders hunched. It took a moment for Grandma Mora to realize what she was looking at. She blinked and used all her strength to squeeze his hand. Octavia left the phone with them and walked out of the room. She had to give them space because no one knew if this moment would've been their last.

***

After Cressida's birthday, Frederic never thought he'd be in front of his closet again, searching for something to wear. Tonight, his plan was like any other Saturday night, play video games with Wahid. Yet they were both being dragged along by Reagan. Frederic's phone rang and he answered it then tossed it on the desk.

'You're on speaker, choose your words carefully.'

'I don't want to go,' Wahid whined and Frederic rolled his eyes. 'This is peer pressure, none of you are being a real friend and thinking about my feelings.'

'Dude, Sasha sent you an invite, it'd be rude not to go. While I'm your plus one.' Frederic pulled out a graphic tee with the Marvel logo on it then hung it back. 'I think she'll be happier to see you, than me.'

'We're not even going to talk to anyone. Well...I won't, it'll feel like I'm the third wheel.'

'Oh, come on. I won't ditch you, besides, Reagan will probably leave us halfway through the night then I can drive you home if it gets out of hand.'

'Since when did you turn into the party—sociable type?'

'I have not. I want to have a good night with my friends.' He finally pulled out a white graphic tee that had Thing 1 on it.

'Does that include Octavia?' Wahid asked. Frederic didn't respond and rather put on the tee. Wahid groaned through the phone. 'You still haven't spoken to her?'