Chapter 44

"Ooh, should we grab something to drink before going back?" James asked as the two of them walked through the High Street.

"No," Mia narrowed her eyes, "we've spent enough time here already, we should go back to the castle."

"Yeah, right, okay," he nodded. "I'm sorry."

Her eyes widened. "You're what?"

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "You're right, we should go back and see McGonagall."

"And that's exactly what we're going to do."

"You're the boss," James put his hands inside his pockets. "I've done enough stupid things, I'll just listen to you."

Mia gave him a suspicious look. "Okay..."

He smiled. "Thanks again for helping me, I really appreciate it. I shouldn't have accepted that dare, it was really dumb."

"It was," Mia agreed.

"But at least we got a little closer, so that's good," he said.

"Did we?" She asked back in a bored tone.

"I would say so, yeah... Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Not like I could stop you," she rolled her eyes. "What is it?"

"I was just wondering... Why exactly did you and Alex end things?" He asked slowly.

Mia sighed. "He's going to move back to the US after school," she decided to tell him.

James stopped walking. "He's leaving you?!"

She turned to look at him. "Technically he's leaving all of us, isn't he?"

"But – but – why would he do that?" James asked with a shocked expression on his face.

"Because of Quidditch," Mia shrugged. "He's going to do what he's passionate about, as he should."

"Wasn't he passionate about you?"

"Listen... he thought about staying, but I told him that he shouldn't. I'm not going to hold anyone back from pursuing their dreams, and I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone to hold me back from pursuing mine."

"But there are plenty of Quidditch teams out there," James said quietly while staring down into her eyes. "There's only one you."

"True, but there are a lot of amazing girls out there too. I'm sure he'll find one if he'll have the time for a relationship."

"Aren't you angry or anything?"

She shook her head. "We agreed to remain friends, and that's it. It was good while it lasted, but it's over, we should move on."

"I can't believe I'm about to say this," he furrowed his eyebrows, "but if you really like him, then you shouldn't just give up."

Mia gave him an amused look. "Oh?"

"I know," James clenched his jaw, "but I mean it. You shouldn't just let go of the people you love."

"But sometimes the only thing you achieve from holding on is hurting yourself. It's better for you if you just let go."

"You won't get hurt if you're strong enough," James argued.

"But why would you want to hold onto someone who doesn't want to stay?" Mia asked quietly.

She turned away from him and started walking again.

James caught up with her. "I would never leave you," he said after a few seconds.