Chapter 43: The Imposter

"You never have." The moment I made a move and reached for the knife was the exact same moment that Arthas's eyes widened and he snarled angrily, all the light disappearing with a flash at the flick of his fingers. It was pitch black immediately, as if I had been swallowed by a void. If it wasn't for the loud shuffling that soon followed and the sound of metal against metal I'd be sure I had died that instant. That sweet determination filled me though, especially with the knowledge that they wouldn't kill me. All I needed to do was make sure I got out of there for the time being.

My feet carried me away from the table and I could feel a gush of wind against the skin of my arms, hearing breathing so close I was sure someone was right in front of me. "Enough!" I yelled loudly, flames erupting from my hands and clearing the room of the mist that had fallen. The candles were lit again, shining with a rebellious glow.

Soon my eyes connected with Arthas's again, seeing his pitch-black wings unwrapped from behind his back and the bloodshot eyes that glowed fiercely. Derik stood almost right next to me, pointing his sword at my throat as I held the knife in his direction. "Let's all take a deep breath." I proposed, taking tiny steps back. "We wouldn't want anyone to have a heart attack."

"Drop. The. Knife." Arthas growled lowly, the sound seemingly echoing through the dining hall. "Now."

"Oh, you mean this one?" I gestured with the knife, which was sharper than I had thought, especially given the fact that I was their prisoner.

"Lyanna, surely you understand that you have no chance, not even with that little knife." Derik tried to reason, stalking closer carefully with his sword raised. "Maybe you could hurt me, but you're no match for Arthas."

"Honestly, uncle, right now killing you sounds more alluring."

His face went blank instantly when my eyes met his and he saw the fire burning within them. "You'd be dead before you can even try."

"But that's the thing, isn't it, uncle?" I chuckled humourlessly. "You won't kill me." My eyes went back to Arthas who took in a deep breath, his eyes darkening even further. "Because then you would kill him." A smile started to play on my lips when I saw the fear flash through his eyes. The dark magic doused a bit around his fingers as he took a deep breath in through his teeth, letting me know I had the advantage now.

"So, gentlemen, now that I have your attention I have another proposition for you." I moved the knife to my own throat, pressing against the thin skin covering the most precious, vulnerable artery.

"Don't!" Arthas immediately hissed.

"You stay here, acting all high and mighty and I will go back to Eagle's Fall, save those people and maybe I won't kill myself." I was stalling. I knew that whatever agreement we made, he would break it. There was no use in negotiating with him, no, as I was talking my eyes darted around the room for a possible escape. "You see, I know we're connected. I know it is my life that keeps you from getting hurt. I don't know how mother could've possibly thought it was a good idea at the time, but I guess love makes you do stupid things."

Arthas took a step forward but the moment he did I pressed the knife harder against my skin, wincing as it drew warm blood that flowed down my skin. He immediately put his hands up in surrender, flinching back in his former position.

"I'm afraid that I'm no different in that." Chuckling humorously my eyes went back to my uncle. His own were narrowed as if he was looking at his prey, just like that moment beneath the throne room when he betrayed us, when he took the prison and caused all this hell we were in now. I could feel the fury building up in me as my eyes turned red and flamed. "Those jedi you pledged to kill mean a lot to me and I would rather die than see you harm them."