Chapter One Hundred & Fifty-Eight | Fifth World

[ 158 ]

Fahren walked with an extra spring in his step. After combing through copious amounts of documents based on various legislations regarding the implementation of newfound technology into the medical sector— he'd drawn a complete blank.

There was no conceivable way for him to be able to help Radical Innovations in that area, as his brain just couldn't expand enough in order to swallow pages of fine-tuned laws and regulations which may as well have just been written in a different language completely.

But other than Fahren himself being physical and insurmountable proof of Emilio's groundbreaking technology, there was little else Fahren could provide to help battle against those whose main goal was to discredit Radical Innovations. Until he had one of those lightbulb moments as he spent yet another one of his evenings swallowed up in the bathtub, a glass of one of his father's most-treasured wines in one hand and the papers that Zach had given him in the other.

There wasn't a trace of anger in his expression as he flicked through the photographs, his own family's technology proving its worth as it zoomed in and captured the faces of the people leaving his old apartment building, down to the finest of details.

Faces he feels like he hadn't seen in so many years, which now accurately correlated alongside the list that Fahren had initially been handed. There wasn't an ounce of loyalty he felt he owed them as frame-by-frame, letch by letch, they left his property knowing full well that they had coveted his belongings and didn't feel a shred of remorse.

Which is why, when his gaze finally landed on a piece of information that could undoubtedly work in his favour, Fahren didn't pause to think about the ramifications for the people involved. He had lived too many lives where he had experienced first-hand the suffering of those who weren't strong enough to defend themselves, who were unfairly punished whether it was merely a construct or not.

He abandoned his bath, bubbles still clinging to his naked form as he reached for a towel while still skim-reading the papers. He spent the rest of the evening further researching a particular man who happened to be one of Emilio's most outspoken critics.

Which brought him back to his excited yomp the next morning, as he parked his car and fetched a gift from the backseat. He had phoned Radical Innovations and found out that their boss was taking the next few days off in order to work on other projects he had in the pipeline. So Fahren got in the car and took advantage of knowing the way to the engineer's spectacular and yet isolated home.

And in order to lighten the burden of Fahren's sudden and unannounced arrival, he had a plan. Which was currently proving to be a health-risk as he walked precariously down the curved stairs that led from the rooftop, which acted as the parking-space, down to the living area.

It was early afternoon so there were no lights on in the house, so for a moment Fahren wondered if there was anyone inside. But as he walked around the pool that beautifully mirrored the canopy of trees situated around it, one of the glass panels opened up to greet him. A muted beep followed and it was a sound he was familiar with.

As Fahren replaced his shoes with slippers, he looked around and spotted a screen integrated on one of the walls. Displayed was the result of that beeping sound, which was a full-body inspection as soon as he passed over the threshold.

It identified him in a matter of seconds and went so far as to suggest looking at the medical files attached to his name. Fahren could only roll his eyes when he thought about those who would oppose such technology. But he did narrow them when the full-body scan indicated an accelerated heart-rate.