The Ivy League Part 41

And when Courtney’s mad, well, who knows what will happen?

***

          “Goddammit!” Jake yelled.

          I shot him a reproachful look. “God’s last name is not Dammit, so please show some respect.”

          Jake scowled. “I hate this.”

          I calmly put another sushi into my mouth while Jake looked resentfully at me.

          “Why did you have to pick this place?” he muttered, moodily jabbing his chopsticks into his mangled piece of sushi. He had been attempting to pick it up for literally five minutes, and had reduced it to demolished bits. And a hungry, frustrated Jake does not make good company.

          “Just ask for a fork already,” I suggested, popping another dragon roll into my mouth after gracefully soaking it in soy sauce.

          “No,” snarled Jake, flipping a new sushi onto his plate using his fingers and he tried once more to pick it up with his chopsticks.

          I sighed. “You’re so stubborn.”

          “You’re one to talk.”

          Good grief.

“Jake, open your mouth,” I ordered.

          Glaring warily at me, he did as he was told, and I dropped a roll into his mouth. He chewed and swallowed.

          “Hey, from the side that looks romantic and no one would know I can’t eat with these primitive twigs. Keep feeding me!” he commanded, cheering up slightly.

          I raised my eyebrows at him, and gave him another one. “Now you ask for a fork, because I’m hungry, too.”

          Jake scowled, and instead used his fingers to eat. “Mmm…” he sighed contentedly, chewing, and reaching for the plate again.

          I sighed at his darn pride, but decided not to rub it in. The waitress gave us an odd look when she refilled our tea, watching Jake stack three together before swallowing them whole, but did not comment.

          Fifteen minutes later, Jake and I were finished. He paid, and we walked out of the sushi bar.

          Jake pulled out his cell phone and began typing something into it.

          “Jake, the middle of the road isn’t the right place for this,” I pointed out.

          “Hang on, I’m making myself a reminder not to come here again, unless I learn how to use chopsticks, and then I can take my worst enemies out to humiliate them.”

          “Jake!” I screamed shrilly, yanking him backwards just as a yellow taxi nearly knocked him off his feet.

          “Huh?” he asked, “Oh, thanks Courtney.”

          “Oh, thanks Courtney,” I mimicked sarcastically, heart still pounding. Jake had nearly been pan-caked.

          “Head back to school?” he asked, opening his own car door as I got into the passenger seat.

          I pouted. “I guess we have to. Larry was supposed to pick me up, and I’d rather take as long as possible in letting my family know that I skipped.”