Chapter 24

(Penelope's Point of View)

Flashback

I wake up like every other day. Numb. The friends I once had in the other previous schools I attended buzzing my phone with messages. I open them and see various from multiple people I knew. Some of them confused for my lack of texting back. They weren't aware that my parents that once treated them like their own were know gone. They continued texting me in hopes that I would respond. But I wasn't in the mood to respond and I don't think I'll ever be.

I walk out my room without fixing my appearance and I go to the room next door. Jane is awake and runs at me when I open her door. "When can we see mom and dad?" I sigh knowing she was gonna ask that. For me to have to keep repeating it to her every so often seems to be breaking my heart but it's only natural for a 3 almost 4 year old to ask for their parents. She barely knew them but she only wanted to see the parents that cared so much about her.

I go down to her level and look her in the same beautiful eyes my mother had. I give her a small smile and say, "Jane we've talked about this. We'll get to see them once were much much older. Someday in the far future. For right now they're waiting for us in heaven. Ok?" I say with my sweetest voice possible. Hoping that she understood my explanation. She nods her little head and gives me a smile. Trying to change the subject I look at my phone and check the time. Almost 12 in the afternoon. "Hey do you wanna do something fun today?" I ask with fake enthusiasm. Jane jumps up and down and nods her head like crazy. I let out a little laugh.

After we fixed our attire I drive us to Linda's. We sit in a booth all the way to the back and wait for the waitress to come. I play with Jane for a while until the waitress finally comes. I order our meal and see little Jane having that weird expression on her face she often has. "What's wrong?" I ask worried.

"I'm having those dreams again." She says unaffected. Those dreams again? Every time she's told me about them she's either gotten them during the day or while doing something with someone. Unless it's her imagination I don't know what to think. The waitress comes back with our food and leaves before letting me reply with a thank you. I pass Jane her small plate of eggs and pancakes. While she's eating I look at my own plate of one grilled cheese sandwich. The same thing I order every time I come here. The same thing my dad would order.

It's night time now and the only "fun" thing we did was go to the diner. Thanks so much for being such a great sister I mutter to myself annoyed by the fact that I can't even take my younger sister out to have fun without my bad mood to ruin it all. Where had the old me gone. The fun, loving, energetic me. If my parents were to see me now I sure would have disappointed them. I already put Jane to sleep but that didn't change my sour mood. How horrible of a sister was I that I couldn't even let Jane have a fun day. I go to my bed and simply throw myself on it. My face hits the pillow and I let out an angry muffled yell not trying to let the tears fall down my eyes and whisper to myself, "Happy 16th Birthday, Penelope." I open my eyes and look up to my ceiling. I guess it'll be another sleepless night.

Flashback Ends

I move around hearing the birds chirp from outside the window. I use my pillow and throw it towards the noise of the birds without opening my eyes. I hear laughter coming from beside me and open my eyes to see Ethan on the other side of the couch laughing at my recent action. I let out a laugh of my own and lean against the couch in a more comfortable position.

Last night Ethan and me spent the whole time watching movies and talking about other things to distract me. We played card games, got on our phones and just stayed in silence sometimes. I guess we both fell asleep on the couch while doing one of those things.