Miya Osamu - Pumpkin Spice

AU: Regular, coffee shop(?)

Server Collab (Link to Tumblr in Bio, I'll also comment the masterlist link here)

Tags: GN Reader, swearing, time-skip spoilers

Word Count: 9.2k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

Working at a cafe in the middle of the busy streets of Tokyo's business sector often led to many customers in need of a nice brew and in association, tips. Lots of tips that often fell into your pocket at the end of the day. The pay was good enough and made up for the moderately long commute from your campus that you spent sleeping on the train. On top of that, your boss was the nicest and most supportive old woman in downtown Tokyo.

The interior of the cafe was soft and homey in comparison to the reflective silver exterior of the building outside. Seats with red vinyl cushions filled the open area leading to the wooden top counter that you worked behind, mixing up whatever ludicrous drink they asked for. The customers loved you. You loved the money. It was the best.

It was sunny that day, people were smiling for once as they walked to work for once. The traffic was light, people weren't running late, and to top it all off you had just gotten an email that morning with the mark for your latest assignment, a perfect grade.

"We're closing."

"Like, just for today, right?" you asked Juri, brows furrowed as a disbelieving smile pulled on your face as if you were being pranked. She gave you a sad look. "Right?" you repeated, pouring in a measured amount of coffee beans into the espresso machine.

"(Y/N), I'm so sorry," Juri gasped. "The building owner jacked up the renting price and I just can't afford it now."

You reached behind you for the counter, gripping it tightly between your fingers as you pulled yourself closer to slump onto it. A dull ache began to grow right between your eyes. "Don't apologize, Juri. There's nothing you can do. I'm fine."

"Well, that's a lie," she spoke after a moment, skating over the thin ice that froze over your conversation. "You can spend more time studying now at least, university gets harder in your final year."

"University's the reason I needed this job though." You walked around Juri's stout form, reaching for the coffee machine, grabbing hold of a mug and readying yourself for the freshly pressed beans. "I have to pay for it somehow."

"(Y/N), darling, maybe a three shot espresso isn't the best thing to have right now."

You gave the old woman a sour look over your shoulder before shooting back the mug of dark bean soup. Immediately, your tongue tried to escape your mouth. "Oh god, you," you gagged momentarily. "You were right. That was horrid." An uncomfortable shiver ran over your shoulders and through your spine.