023

november 5th, 2019
5:22 pm

NOELANI STARED DOWN AT THE HUNK OF BROWN MEAT AND GRAVY ON HER PLATE

It was surrounded by wilted salad from a bag and watery white rice.

The awkwardness in the room could be felt from a mile away.

Noelani was supposed to have gone with Jalen to Krispy Kreme as part of her food bucket list but Alejandro had requested her presence at tonight's dinner specifically.

Noelani pokes the meat with her fork then glanced at her father, Alejandro sitting at the head to her left and Erin, her stepmother across the table.

What kinda dumb bitch can't make rice from a box?

"I uh, I tried to make Loco Moco. Your dad told me that it was your favorite meal. " Erin smiled at Noelani.

Noelani gave a tight lipped smile back before continuing to poke at the food on the medium sized blue and white floral plate in front of her.

Blue sniffed the air from her place on the floor, then whimpered before padding out of the dining room.

Same, Blue. Fucking same.

"Loco Moco is made with hamburger patties not ground turkey. And they usually have a fried egg on top." Noelani sighs before gripping her plastic cup of lemonade.

"Oh." Erin looked to Alejandro.

"It's hard to remember all the ingredients." Alejandro defended her, "Just try it, you might like it."

Noelani cut into the meat with her fork then put a small piece in her mouth and swallowed.

Noelani had to force her face not to contour with disgust at how salty the gravy was.

"I'm surprised you're not out with uh, your boyfriend." Erin sipped her water.

Alejandro immediately turned his gaze to Noelani, "You uh, have a boyfriend, Noel? I didn't realize that you and Jalen were that serious."

"No," Noelani rolled her eyes a little, "Jalen and I are...," Noelani trailed off, "I don't know what we are." She admits.

"Maybe you should find out." Erin suggested.

"Maybe you should mind the business that pays you." Noelani responded curtly.

There was a silence before Erin coughed and tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder, "Maybe there's a real Loco Moco place nearby?"