Observing

Sophie's Pov

Sophie watched as guy after guy walked onto the field. Some looked confident, poised, and sure of themselves--while others looked meek and uncertain as they stumbled towards the group. This was the first time she was seeing them altogether in person. A few she had observed from a distance when the came into the castle, but duty called before she could see the rest. Of course, she had seen all their pictures when they were selected, but Sophie knew you could learn a lot about a persons character by seeing how they acted when they weren't around you. 

Clusters gathered. Sophie recognized Lur, the first selected, talking to Conner, who overall seemed like a really happy person. She was looking forward to talking to him. Next to them, Botros and Cadfael stood with a gaggle of admirers, they seemed to be loudly bragging. Sophie rolled her eyes at their antics before her gaze slipped to Fitz, the only selected she personally knew--actually that was incorrect. She had quite literally ran into Keefe Sencen in Candleshade a few days ago. Thank goodness she came up with that line about visiting cousins, it would be a disaster if anyone found out what she was actually doing. 

As if summoned, Keefe sauntered onto the field. His recognizable mop of blonde hair rustled in the breeze. She saw him scan the field, and walk over to Fitz when he spotted him. The two engaged in a friendly seeming greeting before Sir Conley grabbed the groups attention. 

Sophie couldn't make out his words because of the distance, but she watched as the selected nodded and turned to walk towards the back post. Heads crowded together, so close that Sophie couldn't tell what they were looking at. It took a while, but eventually she could pick out the groups forming.

Her eyes swept through the men again, Sophie couldn't believe this was it. Thirty-five selected were all here to compete for her, and one would eventually become her husband. She sighed internally. Husband. She wasn't ready for that. Few would be at eighteen. Quickly Sophie shook her head, it would help little to think on things that could not be changed.

Moments later, she laughed as she watched a strawberry blonde boy, though she couldn't remember his name, practically bounce with energy as he talked to Keefe. Unfortunately, a group of nobles, led by the obnoxious Lady Stina, came up to the observers sector. To avoid being discovered looking at the selected before official introductions, Sophie ducked her head and scurried back towards the castle.

She made sure her hood was tucked securely and her cloak concealed any evidence of her royal status. To blend in, Sophie joined behind a group of commoners exploring the grounds. She made it all the way to the castle walls with them, before she slipped into a door. After many years of befriending maids and sneaking through servant channels, Sophie knew them like the back of her hand. Two lefts, one right, one left, third door, her bedroom. She hurried through, and moved inside, closing the door before resting her forehead on the wood.

"Really Sophie. You're aware that you aren't actually supposed to leave your room right now. Especially if you were doing what I think you were doing, which is definitely against the rules."

Sophie jumped at the sound of a voice, before turning to give Edaline a smile.

"Well, I though I pulled it off nicely."

"If you intend to, quote, pull it off, unquote, then I suggest you remember when you have plans to meet your mother in your room."

Sophie winced. She had forgotten about that, oops.

"Oh come here. I won't tell your father about this, but if someone see's you you're on your own."

"Thanks mom." Sophie grinned.

"Of course. Now tell me. Which one do you think is the cutest?" Edaline giggled going into girly mode.

"Mom." She groaned.

"You're right, you're right. You have to see them up close and talk to them first to decide, I get it."

"Mom!"

Edaline laughed, "I'm just teasing you."

"I know! But it's embarrassing!" Sophie squealed shoving her head into a pillow.

"It's any good parents job to embarrass their children."

"Hmph."

Edaline smiled. "Have you decided what you're going to wear tonight. It'll be the first official time you see and talk to them in person. Gotta make a good impression."

"I think Vertina picked out something."

"Perfect. She has good fashion taste, elf knows you'd be lost without her."

Sophie snorted. She had some strengths, but fashion was not one of them. Grace wasn't either but everyone was polite enough to not point out her clumsy habits. Releasing a gust of air, Sophie turned her gaze back to Edaline.

"I can't believe I'm meeting them tonight. This is actually happening."

Edaline gave her a soft look, "You're so grown up. Sophie, I just want you to know--whatever happens with the selection, whomever you chose--your father and I are so incredibly proud of you. You've become an amazing young woman that we are proud to have raised. The kingdom will be in good hands when we pass it off to you."

"You really think I can do it?"

"I know you can."

Edaline's steady confidence inspired Sophie.

"Alright, time to get ready."

"I'll ring for Vertina."

"Thanks."

"Of course, I love you Sophie." 

"Love you too mom."