08

Throughout the ride to the ship, I admired the beauty of nature. Leaving the castle gates after nearly a decade, I was in awe of the townspeople we passed by. They were all bustling around and although it was loud, there was a joyous mood.

As we exited the village, I saw a small creek which soon turned into a river. From what I've learned in the books, this means we are close to the sea. The water was crystal clear and I was yearning to touch it, but it was just out of my reach.

I admire its beauty from afar, seeing fish, turtles, and frogs swim in it. To my surprise, as the river's width got wider I saw a few large fins. Looking down I see five grey dolphins, all chirping happily with their family. Among them, one was pink and my heart nearly stopped at it's rare beauty.

I squealed when I felt the splashes from its blowhole  on the top of it's head. I heard the wagon stop suddenly and the heavy footsteps of some men, including my husband.

"Avani, are you alright? What happened, why did you squeal like that?"

I was flustered when I realized my mistake and the chirps of the dolphins seemed to mock me. I felt heat crawl my skin in embarrassment at the unladylike behaviour.

"It's nothing, some dolphins just sprayed some water on me. I'm sorry that I startled everyone."

I expected my husband to be angry and chide me, but instead he held out my hand. I looked up at his eyes and saw a reassuring look, and wrapped my finger with his, as I jumped out of the wagon.

"Everyone else can ride to the dock and settle in. My wife and I will walk there to meet you sometime. I suggest you take a rest in the meantime."

I looked at Nathaniel's unexpected request, but his men didn't seem fazed as they abided by his orders. Some of them held shocked expressions which disappeared in a flash.

The wagon with our stuff and men soon went as they blended in with the horizon. I felt a warm hand cup my cheek tenderly and looked up to see my husband.

"Have you never seen dolphins before?"

"Never, this is my first time. I was prohibited from leaving the castle gates after my mother's death."

"Didn't that occur when you were a young child?"

"Yes, I was at the age of eight when she passed away."

There was an awkward silence that followed before I felt him walking towards the directions of the ship. I did the same and followed behind him, when he abruptly stopped.

He took my hand and ducked under a bush as I followed right after. I was about to squeal, but he must have sensed it and shushed me with his palm on my mouth.

I looked at him with a questionable glance and he pointed in front of us. There was a female deer with newborn fawns. The fawns were barely standing, indicating that their birth was just a few hours prior.

I was stuck in this daze, that is until I spotted an eagle from afar. Before I could even react it flew down swiftly and carried one of the fawns with its large talons. On instinct the mother protected it's remaining child and made a noise of distress for the one she just lost.

I felt tears stream down my face in pity and anger. How can nature provide something so beautiful, yet snatch it away so quickly. I look at my husband to see him unfazed by the cruelty we just witnessed. He grabbed my arm as we stood up from the bush and began walking again.

"Why didn't we stop the eagle or make a noise. It's unfair, how before the fawn can even learn what life is, it would face death."

"That is a part of life. Not everything is fair in life. You need good guidance, skill, and a bit of luck to succeed."

"How are you unfazed by this? We were just enjoying their birth a few moments ago."

"I've been to my fair share of battles and am accustomed to death. I already saw the eagle before it began to make its move."

I ceased my walking and looked at him in disbelief. He let out a breath in annoyance and still kept an unfazed look on his face. I felt fresh tears fill my eyes again in disbelief.

"Why would you let the eagle take it away then?! Why would you make me witness such a horrid sight?"

I couldn't hold the anger and disgust in my voice and  couldn't stop the fat tears that rolled down my cheek. That was quite a horrific sight and something no one should witness.

"If the eagle didn't take the deer, then it would have nothing to feed its chicks. You seem to live in a fantasy world where everything is perfect and if you want to be the queen of Nordfjord, then you must know the ruthless side of life as well."

I couldn't say anything to his words. He did have a valid point of the eagle having to feed its family, yet why would he show me something so cruel on my first day out in nature. Little did he know, I knew that life is unfair and cruel; that I've been living the ugly side of it.

We walked in complete silence other than the noise of the rustle in the bushes, chirps of the birds, and the rushing water. I looked ahead and saw complete blueness, realizing this is the sea.

Waking closer, I saw a majestic ship, as large as half the castle I lived in. There was a wood carving of a bare woman on the top of the boat, in which her bottom half is of a fish's tail.

I was hesitant to get in, as it's my first time travelling anywhere, let alone on a ship. I've heard of disastrous shipwrecks in the middle of the ocean through the stories of some travellers.

Sensing my hesitation my husband grabs my hand and gives me a reassuring look before walking me into the ship. I never seem to understand him nor his hot and cold behaviour.

Stepping off the land made it even more realer that I will be leaving my birth place. The part of me, the rightful princess of Alasia, wanted to stay behind and take care of my people, not leave them in the hands of my abusers. Yet I was scared, this vulnerable part of me wanted to leave this place as soon as possible.

The sail set and I felt the ship move, as my eyes trailed on my Kingdom, until it was nothing but a speck. The sun sets in time, and I was about to rest for the night in my temporary chamber, just to realize it is my wedding night.