chapter one

chapter one, off to london

"HE'S MISSING?" She had repeated, looking to her family, her mother and grandmother sitting opposite her on the sofa with her uncle walking around the parlour room in worry

"HE'S MISSING?" She had repeated, looking to her family, her mother and grandmother sitting opposite her on the sofa with her uncle walking around the parlour room in worry. "As in he's left?"

"Yes, Emilia, That is usually what 'your brother has ran away from home and cannot be found means'." Her mother snapped quietly, looking away from her shocked daughter out to the gardens of their stately home.

"Do not take any heed of your mother my darling, She is just worried." Grandmother spoke, her eyes soft but serious as she talked to her granddaughter that deemed no threat to her as women had no say in anything political, or anything at all.

"Of course I am worried mother." Lady Tewksbury scowled, taking out a handkerchief and wiping at her eyes. "My only son is missing and I have no clue as to where to start on finding him."

"The conductor said the train was headed to London, sister. That is where we must look, but first I need to write a letter to Mr. Holmes." Whimbrel spoke, coming to a stop from his pacing to set a hand on Lady Tewksbury's shoulder in comfort.

"As in Sherlock Holmes?" Emelia asked, looking up to her uncle who only nodded in return. "Well then mama, you have nothing to worry about. For Sherlock has solved all of his cases... At least the ones I've read, he has."

"Emilia, Mr. Holmes gets a many of cases each day, he is a busy man. How are we to be sure he will accept?" Her mother sighed, holding onto her brothers hand.

"Well he has to, you have to get him to uncle. He's our only hope I believe." Emilia replied quickly, standing up. "I will go to him myself if he denies."

Her uncle only shook his head at her, looking down whereas her mother sighed yet again.

"Can we not go look for him ourselves?" She then asked, looking over to her family again, "You said he's in London, I believe London to not be that big, We'd find him in no time." Emilia said, "A reward! Posters! Anything!" She exclaimed, her eyes darting around the room as she thought up ideas.

"Do you not realise how dangerous it is for a young child to be out in the streets alone girl!" Her mother replied irritably back, her eyes glaring at her daughter in frustration.

"I'm not going to sit around and wait for a detective to write you back, It could take years! I'll be gone by this evening." She then said, making her way out of the room before stopping by the door, turning around, curtsying and then leaving through the doors which were opened by one of the servants.

The rest of the family only looked eachother, sighing at the innocence of the young girl. They didn't mind if she did go off to London though, she had been there many a times for charity balls and what not, they believed she would be fine out by herself. She was a young woman now.

Or at least they hoped

"I AM SURE I do not need all my dresses." She laughed at her lady's maid Freya, who was packing her bags quickly, even after being told Emilia could do it herself. "We will have my brother along in no time, especially if Mr Holmes is willing to take up the case, otherwise I will do it myself."

"Of course not Emilia, but what if you go to some ball or don't like the things I pick out?" She answered, not looking up from the cases as she packed.

"I will have no need for any nighttime dresses for I will be spending all my time on finding where my brother is, Freya." She replied, tying her hair back in an intricate half up, half down hairstyle, her hair in perfect curls.

"What if you cannot find Mr. Holmes in any place but a ball?" Freya asked, a small grin on her face as she said so, "I heard he is very classy."

"He is? I never noticed."

"ARE YOU SURE you don't need me with you, Emilia. Or at least someone to look out for you? London is a very dangerous place." Freya asked as they stood on the train platform, her eyes filled with worry as she looked at the women she called a dear friend.

"I am sure Freya, there is no need to worry for me." Emilia only laugher, "I'm a big girl." She winked before pulling the woman in for a hug. "I will be back in no time."

"Emilia! People will think you improper!" Freya squealed quietly, eyes wide as she hesitantly looked at the other nobles waiting on the platform.

"You are my friend Freya, I will miss you and so I am showing you my love in an emotional way as some people would put it." She responded with a small smile, clinging tightly on to the younger girl. It was rather odd for Emilia to do something so scandalous as hugging the help, never mind hugging one in front of people, but today the girl couldn't care about propriety and only wanted to show love for one of her closest friends.

"Good luck Emilia, I do hope you are able to bring back Lord Tewksbury." Freya sighed, both pulling away from the hug to hold each other's hands. "If there is anyone I believe in to solve it, it would be you."

"Don't be daft Freya, Even if I could, I'd never be allowed on the case." She laughed heartidly, knowing her place from many years of strict teaching and prejudiced governesses.

"I heard Mr. Holmes is very modern." Freya replied, making Emilia laugh again.

"You do hear a lot about this Mr. Holmes, don't you Freya." She grinned, before looking to where the trains horn went off, signalling it's soon departure. "I'll will see you in no time, frey."

"Goodbye Emilia." She replied, a small smile on her face as the other girl opened her fan and made her way onto the train.

There were many free compartments aboard seeing as it was one of the last departures of the day. She finally found the one located to her by the kind train master who had left her luggage in there.

Sitting down, she looked out the window. Finally feeling the impact of her brother missing. A tear escaping her eyes as she shook her head quickly before taking off her hat and gloves and leaning back into the seat to relax.