Part 36

"Fuck!" Alexander roared again as he paced back and forth through the kitchen.

I didn't bother looking up from the pile of tests on the counter. Matthew had given me an array of them. Each and every one came back positive. I was so numb and shocked that I couldn't even feel an ounce of the dread Alexander seemed to be feeling as he continued to pace.

"Can we fake the tests?" Adam asked.

"There's no fucking fake for Henry's god damn nose. The only way out of this is to get her the fuck out of here when these piss ants slip up and leave us an opening." Xane growled. He'd stopped pacing just long enough to glare out the window at the guards patrolling around the pack house. They'd been posted there since the council left and Xane had been glaring at them every so often since the first test.

~I'm not leaving.~ I said shooting Xane's suggest down without raising my eyes.

Xane came forward. He dropped his palms on the counter, leaned in close, and waited until finally I raised my eyes to his.

"They are taking this pack. It is done. And if we do not get you out of here they will take you too." Xane explained. His voice was calmer, almost quieter, as he forced his anger back to speak to me.

~I'm not afraid of them. If getting locked up means holding on to this pack, one of the largest packs in our nation, for even a second longer then that's what I'll do.~ I said.

"Getting locked up?" Xane repeated incredulous. "Rylan they're going to kill you."

I took a moment to take in his words. I blinked. Not even sure if I heard him correctly.

"Wait what? I thought they were working with Devlin. Isn't this all because they want Silas's baby?" Adam asked just as confused as me.

Alexander glanced over to glare at Adam. He looked to Matthew next and then to me. He shook his head and turned back to Adam.

"Silas...?" Alexander shook his head again. "No. The only reason they needed Silas was BECAUSE he is her mate. Silas's baby has never been an issue. If it was he would've been the one in the breeding facility, he would be the one the council is dead set on ending. So no. Silas, the powerful fuck, doesn't hold a damn candle against a pure blood fucking hybrid."

Matthew and Adam both looked toward me when Xane pointed. I immediately began shaking my head.

~I'm not a hybrid.~

"You are a witch AND a werewolf. The very thing the council has always tried to eliminate because of this." He pointed to the pile of pregnancy tests in front of me.

~No.~ I shook my head again.

~I'm not... I'm not even a werewolf anymore and this...~ I gestured to the pile.

~It's not relevant...It's not going to happen.~ I looked to Matthew hoping that he could explain this better than I seemed to be.

"It's very unlikely she will carry to term." Matthew agreed smoothly.

"Why do you keep saying the council is trying to get rid of her? What about their alliance with Devlin?" Adam asked.

Xane scoffed and shook his head.

"What is the one thing that can preside over the council...?" Xane asked.

Adam shook his head slowly.

"A fucking king." Xane answered. "Their agreement with Devlin is on the grounds that they will remain in power once the king takes his place. An agreement they don't need if they can eliminate that potential entirely."