Chapter 44

Readers,

Well here is the next chapter so I hope you all enjoy it as much as the others. Don’t forget to let me know your thoughts and thank you to you all who have supported me while writing this story. It really does mean a lot.

xxx

Chapter 44

Holly’s Pov

Mixing the already beaten eggs into the batter I was surprised when Annie suddenly started talking to me, her tone soft and I could hear how nervous she was. I frowned; since when was I off putting to people?

“Jake told me that you’re the one who baked the cakes for the fundraiser.”

I nodded, still trying to ask myself why she seemed so nervous. I mean she was taller than me, and while she wasn’t big by any means  I knew if I wasn’t a werewolf she would be able to take me no problem. Again I frowned at where my thoughts were taking me, since when did it bother me?

I shrugged, deciding just to change the pattern of my thoughts. I grinned when it worked and it no longer seemed to bother me.

“So…”

Feeling guilty for making her uncomfortable I scooped my batter in the separate cooking trays before popping it in the oven. I turned around, facing her.

“Jake said that they went down well, yes?” I spoke softly.

Her eyes widened and she nodded happily. “Yep, we decided to cut one up and have it as a taster of sorts and it seemed to be a good idea. We sold all of them,” she gushed.

I bit my lip, blushing.

“So,” Annie cleared her throat. “Is Adrian your boyfriend then?” she asked nervously, as if she worried she was overstepping her mark.

I played with my hands nervously, but couldn’t help but get a sappy grin on my lips. “Yea,” I smiled. “Adrian’s perfect.”

Hearing gruff laughter I flushed from head to toe when I saw my mate standing in the door way, a wide grin at him lips causing me to look down at my feet.

“Now, now sweetheart” he cupped my cheek as he made me look up to face him. “I’m glad you think I’m gorgeous” he spoke smugly.

Slapping him on the shoulder I walked over to the fridge, pulling out a several bars of chocolate. “I didn’t say you were gorgeous, is said you were perfect” I muttered, knowing I was kidding myself. His laughter told me just as much.

“If you say so sweetheart,” he winked before glancing over towards a nervous Annie. He shrugged, turning his attention back to me as I ripped open the chocolate and snapped it into little pieces so I could easily melt it. “What you making?”

“Paul wanted chocolate cake,” was my reply.

Adrian rolled his eyes, but I could tell he wouldn’t be passing up a piece. I loved that my mate liked my cooking, it was a relief as well as a weight off my shoulders. It helped me try and realise that I was worth him, that I could make him happy.

“You like to bake?”

Looking back over towards Annie I could tell she wanted nothing more than for Jake to be by her side, calming her nerves. I wondered where he had gone but didn’t bring it up.

“I love it,” I admitted to her. “It helps me think.”

When the timer went off I grabbed some over gloves before pulling out the three circular shaped tin cakes I had baked, pleased with the golden brown colour meaning they had been cooked to perfection. I may be covering it in chocolate, but I didn’t want it to be sickly so I had done the base of the cake a simple vanilla.

“They smell good,” Jake grinned as he walked into the kitchen and headed over to a relieved Annie. I could tell that my mates presence made her nervous, but then again he was an alpha, a powerful man. I couldn’t exactly blame her, he had scared the crap outta me the first time we had met.

“Thank you,” I flushed.

Setting the cakes on top of each other once they had completely cooled I went about melting the chocolate, mixing it with some milk to make it smoother for me to cover the cake. I didn’t want it to look dreadful, even if the taste would be the same. It made me happy when I was proud of my work.

It didn’t take long until I had the three tiered caked decorated, the fact I knew it wouldn’t take long for the pack to demolish it making me smile despite myself. I made me happy that it always goes down so well.

“So how was the doctors, mate?” Paul asked Adrian as I sat on a stool, my fingers working with the fondant Adrian had brought me a few days ago as I made bright red roses out of it.  

I could feel his eyes on me but I didn’t look up, feeling flustered under his gaze.

“Everything went fine,” he grunted. I looked up at him, feeling his excitement which had me confused. What did he have to be excited over?

“Thank god,” I heard most of the pack mutter causing me to frown. Were they really that worried? Why?

Shrugging I grinned once I had completed my fifth rose, feeling a pair of lips press against me cheek. Looking up I saw Adrian grinning down at me.

“They look lovely,” he praised.

“Thank you,” I blushed before getting the cake back out of the fridge and decorating it with them. “Done,” I announced proudly once the last one was in place.

“Wow,”

Glancing over at Annie I could see how shocked she was. Passing it off I jumped up and washed my hands, nearly slipping at the last moment but of course my mate was there to catch me in his arms.

“Clumsy,” he mumbled causing me to feel my face flush even redder.

~~(@)~~

It was later in the day when I found myself lying in bed with my mate, Adrian’s hair wet from a fresh shower as I laid my head on his chest. It was soothing, listening to his heart beat as it thumped away in his chest.

“Can I ask you something, sweetheart?”

Glancing up at Adrian I nodded. “Ask me what?”

He seemed nervous as he spoke. “Would you ever consider having kids?” he finally got out.

That I had to admit stumped me, what with the randomness of it and all. But when I really thought about it, letting the idea of having pups cross my mind I was surprised with how appealing that option seemed to me. I had never even fantasised about the idea in my past, it never having crossed my mind, but now as I laid with Adrian I found myself wondering…

Would I make a good mother?

Could I look after my young?

Was I good enough?

I must have been quiet for some time since I soon felt Adrian’s worried emotions flood into my own like a soft wave of feeling. Looking up I saw him staring down at me nervously.

“I would like to,” I finally admitted quietly. “The idea doesn’t seem as terrifying with you.”

What I had said was clearly the right thing since the smile which lit up my mates features was earth shattering; he looked happier than I had ever seen him. It didn’t take a genius to work out that he was extremely pleased with my admission and I found myself relieved that I had worded it how I had. The last thing I wanted to do was disappoint him and I thankfully hadn’t.

“That makes me very happy my little mate,” he grinned before he was hovering on top of me.

Flushing I wrapped my arms around his neck, my forehead pressed against his collar bone as I breathed in his scent. I loved the way he smelled.

I didn’t know quite how to ask him what his thoughts were but I had gathered that he definitely wanted children.

“I love you,” he mumbled as he ran his nose up against my neck.

I smiled. “I love you too.”