32 ♛ Diana of Alcotta

Ending. ❤

Therese left so defeated even though she wasn't supposed to. By the time it was Xander's turn, she had rearranged her face to welcoming, anything but sad.

She said the same words of congratulations; he replied with silence as he checked her face and arms for bruises.

His thumb lingered on the healing bruise on her cheek, where Augustus slapped.

According to him, the king is bedridden and alive, "For now."

He also added, as if in a passing manner, that he declared rebellion, the morning after her abduction. "As of the moment, we are at war, although the palace does not acknowledge it yet, nor the public knows. But it won't be long."

That's why the lively Peduha Slums was as it is, she thought.

"Thank you for the dagger. You can take it back now." She tilted her head towards the weapon, resting on the drawer. Its jeweled sheath borrowed shine from the window.

"It's yours. You can have it."

"But, Your Highness, there is no need. The plan was successful, isn't it?"

The whole time she was awake, she reorganized her thoughts and came up with the possibility that she was used as bait.

The queen might have already known and somewhere in between, made a deal with the king.

But Xander was aware of it too.

Thus, Diana was fed to the wolves.

She did not look away, even though he gritted his teeth and hand on her arms tightened. It confused her why he was angry and to whom.

He did not deny nor claim his scheme, and there was no need. She promised him that he'd be king. At least, she fulfilled her purpose in another way.

As expected, he knew his element well.

"It was a great plan, Your Highness. Congrat—"

"—Diana!"

She tilted her head. "You should rejoice, but Your Highness, why are you angry?"

"Then why are you crying?!"

Only then she realized the moisture from her eyes.

Ah, indeed, she's crying. Diana wiped them and smiled. Although it might look distorted, she refused to admit the pain in front of him, even if the evidence was screaming. They were just tears. She covered her face, wiped several times until the hot tears disappeared. Despite the silence, she felt the warmth from Xander's embrace, and it confused her.

Consolation, she thought. It must be that because she tried so hard.

"Please don't forget your promise," she said after she composed herself. What's left of tears was a moist riverbed on her cheeks.

Xander didn't let go as he answered, "I won't."

"The tax exception."

"Yes, the tax exception," he repeated.

"The sea route."

"The sea route."

"The school."

"Of course, the school."

"Thank you."

"And the flowers," he said. "You wanted the orange blooms, didn't you?"