Cornered

Korra stands smiling as she enjoys her warm welcome from all the upper crusts of Republic City. Accompanying her is Councilman Tenzin and his family. Good lord, is his wife pregnant again?! That poor woman. I wonder if it'll be an air bender like its siblings? Their kids are in attendance as well. They started to run around, weaving between guests and patrons. I scarf down the rest of my sushi, emptying my plate.

"Looks like the guest of honor has arrived." Asami says.

"Hooray." I comment with a slight eye roll. I'm jostled by the sudden collision, making me drop my purse. "Watch it!" I snap. I look behind me to find Councilman Tarrlok bending down to pick up my purse.

He stands back up and hands me my bag. "Sorry about that young lady." He says with a smile, but as quickly as he put it on, it disappears.

"Councilman Tarrlok! I'm so sorr-" Before I even finish my sentence he turns and walks away. "Nevermind then."

"That was rude." Bolin adds.

"It's fine, Bolin. He has the Avatar to attend to." I say with veiled contempt.

"Asami." An older man with round spectickles approaches our group.

"Hey dad." Asami says with a smile.

"Come and find me in a minute. Tarrlok is going to introduce us to the Avatar. Bring your friends too."

Asami nods."Alright dad." So that man is Mr.Sato. He's... thicker than I thought he would be, since he's an industrialist and all. But many wealthy old people tend to be that way, I guess.

From afar we observe Tarrlok introducing Mr.Sato to Korra. They bow to each other then Mr.Sato says something to Korra and she responds with a nervous smile. She definitely seems out of her element, which is funny cause she's the Avatar. I chuckle to myself. "This is going to go well." I utter under my breath with eagerness.

"What was that?" Bolin catches me off guard.

"Oh, nothing." I respond as the group walks over to join Mr.Sato and Korra.

"This is my daughter, Asami." Mr.Sato gestures to his daughter.

"It's lovely to meet you. Mako has told me so much about you." Asami says while still hanging onto Mako.

"Really? Cause Mako hasn't mentioned you at all!" Korra expresses with hostility. "How did you two meet?"

"Asami crashed into him on her moped." Bolin interjects with about as much smoothness as a rock.

"Are you ok?!" Korra asks.

"I'm fine." Mako replies. "Better than fine. Mr.Sato is going to sponsor the Fire Ferrets. We're back in the tournament!"

Bolin almost giggles. "Isn't that great?!"

"Ya, terrific." Korra says without a single bit of excitement to reflect.

"Shouldn't you be, oh I don't know, more enthusiastic." I add in an attempt to poke the bear.

Korra shifts her attention to me. "I am excited." She proclaims with a flicker of sterness in her face. "I just-"

"Chief Beifong!" Tarrlok calls to the fucking police cheif! I didn't know the cops would be here! As she approaches us, I try to be as inconspicuous as humanly possible. I turn my head away in no particular direction and look anywhere but straight forward. "I believe you and Avatar Korra have met."

As Tarrlok introduces the Chief into the conversation, a waiter passes by with a tray of sparkling lemon water. I grab a glass off the tray and replace it with my empty plate. I start sipping on the frankly bland drink and look around the room, all while being totally casual. I'm not being casual at all, am I?

I bring my attention back to the conversation and Beifong, with a steely expression, turns to Korra. "Just because the city is throwing you this big to-do, don't think you're something special." She leans into her words. "You've done absolutely nothing to deserve this."

Jeez, talk about harsh. I can feel how tense the air is. I slowly look up to Beifong and realize she's staring back at me. Out of surprise I choke on my drink and start coughing. As the Chief starts to approach me, I quickly clear my throat and stand up straight. "Chief Beifong." I bow.

"Don't forget, I got my eye on you too, Mizuko." She whispers to me. Ya know, I was worried that Amon knew my street name, but now I'm scared. Even though Amon is a faceless man with an army of chi-blockers, Beifong stare alone is far scarier. If the Chief knows that name, I've got to change it.

"Yes ma'am." I affirm while looking into my glass. With that she walks away. I look up and everyone is talking except Korra. She seems defeated. But... whatever.

Later, Tarrlok takes Korra to the stairs in the back of the ballroom. Reportes crowd around them and start talking over each other. Everyone in the room stops their conversations to look at the scene.

"This ought to be good." I mutter.

Tarrlock pushes Korra in front of him. Korra looks worried, almost scared. What's with her tonight? Isn't the avatar supposed to be super confident?

Then, a reporter's voice carries over the rest, catching everyone's attention. "Avatar! You witnessed Amons powers first hand. How serious of a threat does this man pose to the innocent people of our city?"

"Uh." Korra clears her throat. "I think he presents a real problem." Cameras flash as the reporters take note.

Another reporter jumps in. "Then why have you refused to join Tarrlok's task force? As the Avatar, shouldn't you be going after Amon?"

"I-" Korra stutters.

"Are you backing away from this fight?"

That seems like a loaded question. Korra's face grows angry. "I've never backed away from any fight." Reporters ask her one question after another, without giving her time to answer or even think. Question after question with insinuations she's not keeping her word to protect the people.

Korra's frustrations boil over and it shows. "Avatar Korra, are you afraid of Amon?"

"I AM NOT AFRAID OF ANYBODY!" Korra explodes. "If the city needs me...then I'll join Tarrlok's task force and fight Amon."

Waoh. Bold claim. Without a moment of hesitation, Tarrlok is back at Korra's side. "There's your headline folks!" He poses with Korra and cameras go off in rapid succession.

The boys and I look at eachother with troubled looks. I look around and a few other people have the same expression. Korra was just backed into a corner by those reported and Tarrlok is smiling. Smiling like a farmer who just let his smallest tigerboar get eaten by his Hippocows. I can see the guilt written on Korra's face from here. I almost... feel bad for her. Almost.